Best way to clean your burn pot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doublewide

Jun 14, 2010
Eastern PA
Is it okay to just brush the ash out of the burn pot into the ash pan when the stove is cool?

Or is this something that I'm just going to make a mess of, and it would be better to brush off outside?

I'm a newbie, and I'm just wonder how most of you do it. Thanks

I don't know what kind of stove you have, but I am assuming you have a burnpot where all the ash collects, or is pushed out to the ash pan underneath? You don't have to wait till the stove is cool. My Harman comes with a metal scraper thingy and just push the ash from the burnpot into the ash pan if needed. Obviously don't use a nylon paint brush or something that's going to melt to push hot ash into the pan below....If you don't have a manual for your stove, my suggestion is to get one and read it cover to cover, then read it again. You will save yourself a lot of headaches taking the time to thoroughly get acquainted with your stove.

DW,

On my EF-2 the Burnpot itself just needs dumping or vacuuming when I do a cleaning.

The burn pot liner needs to get scraped every couple of days.

I use a stiff painters 5 in 1 tool. It takes a good bit of chipping to really get the baked on clinkers off the steel.

I do it outside on my back porch railing.

I get all of the accumulated crud off the steel. Sometimes you have to carefully examine the inner walls to see the crud.
It looks alot like welding slag.
I make sure all of the air holes are clean.

This is what works for me.
---Nailer---

If you happen to have a stainless burnpot and it is removable? I found with my testing last season that if you soak the burnpot in a bucket of hot soapy water you don't need to use a chisel to get the carbon out. The hot water and soap soften the carbon and it is easily removed after! This is for that stubborn hard carbon build up. I just could see beating the daylights out of the burnpot to remove it. It worked for me!

Stove is a Breckwell p2000fs (updated my signature, thanks!)

I'm only planning on burning the stove when I am home from 3:00PM to 10:00PM when I am home and not over night until I am used to it. I don't have a thermostat on the stove. I noticed that when the stove is turned off a small amount (1/4 to 3/8 of an inch) of gray powdery ash is left in the burn pot. I have been just dumping it below to the ash pan, right before I light the stove for the next use. Do I even have to dump it out or will the stove light fine with that small amount of ash in the pot. I notice that barely any of the holes in the burn pot are clogged when I dump it. I'm asking because I am thinking about getting a thermostat, but am concerned if the stove will light.

I clean the burnpot every week or two depending on when I do a cleaning... I use a stiff wire brush or I use my wire wheel on a bench grinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.