1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Best way to clear a path into the wood lot ????

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by HDRock, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    I'd carefully scout potential routes and pick one tht requires the least disturbance. I would avoid moving any dirt, and cut as few bushes and saplings as possible. If you leave behind walking trails, that may be considered a benefit to the neighbor, but leaving behind muddy scars, piles of cut brush, etc. would be a poor way to repay the neighbor for letting you cut firewood. Even if the neighbor says he doesn't mind you making trails, I wouldn't assume that means you should tear up the ground. For the most part, if you don't scrape up the soil too much, cutting shrubs and small trees has little impact on the forest. and in a few years you won't be able to tell where the trails were, unless you keep using them.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    The Ryobi is intended to use a brush blade cuz it came with one
  3. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    I have no intention of tearing up the ground and if I did I would fix it.
  4. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Well I think I will end up taking the chipper out there to deal with the brush
  5. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    After thinking about it , the chipper would be a good way to deal with the brush, and get it out of the way, I have to do something with it, and that would beat dragging it around.
  6. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    A lot of good suggestions here thanks every one :)
  7. scooby074

scooby074 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Nova Scotia

Tri blade is for light brush/heavy grass. If your machine came with it, it is likely equipped with the partial bike bars. They are needed for leverage against kickback. Much of what is in your pics is too heavy for a triblade.
  8. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    I had a talk with the stihl dealer and here is a thread about the blades , Brush cutter blades, wing cutters, or fine tooth ???
    It has a bike type handle bar but only one not two, and a strap I always use
  9. scooby074

scooby074 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    The chisel tooth (circ saw) blade is not appropriate for your single handle Ryobi. Even considering the ryobi's low power, it can still give you a wicked kickback.Not only is it not safe, it is going to put premature wear on your machine.
  10. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    I use a heavy duty levered lopper pruner for any saplings it will handle to keep a saw blade out of the dirt. Mine are around 50 years old and similar to these:
    [​IMG]
    also a pull stroke pruning saw

both also come in handy cutting branches off of trees, basically if it is too big for the loppers it is firewood

I cut branches into smallish pieces and spread them out on the forest floor to disintegrate naturally rather than chipping. A one inch pine branch is usually gone in two years. No piles of brush, With ground contact and being stepped on they disppear pretty quick. Not too small, life is short and I want to be making firewood.
  11. tcassavaugh

tcassavaugh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    heres something to think about....is there a preferred way that the land owner might want you to proceed? Just a thought...

cass
  12. Isaac Carlson

Isaac Carlson New Member

Don't disturb the soil, you will end up stuck sooner or later. Just cut everything off at ground level and go to work.