Fence Row Clearing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefighter938

Feeling the Heat
Dec 25, 2014
Central Indiana
I worked with some friends today to clear a fence row. My buddy farms and is going to start farming an adjacent 20acre field to one he already farms. The two fields are seperated by a 200yard fence row made up of hackberry, black walnut, honey locust, and black cherry. There was an 18 ton front end loader, bobcat, and three of us running saws.
image.jpeg
I didn't think to take pictures until we had already refueled the saws a couple of times and had stopped to eat some lunch. This is the north end of the fence row. That clump of hackberry and a few walnut came down also.

image.jpeg
This is looking south. At this point we had close to 100 yards of fence line cleared.

image.jpeg
These are the hackberry and walnut from above, about to be pushed over by the loader.

image.jpeg
Cutting the hack and walnut.

image.jpeg
Moving some wood.

image.jpeg
The dodge with the first load.

image.jpeg
The last clump of trees to be cleared. More hackberry, walnut, and honey locust.

image.jpeg
Looking towards the north end where we started. Piles of logs strung along the way and brush piles waiting to be pushed towards the burn area.

image.jpeg
Another picture looking north. You can see the FEL at the far north and log piles between.
We did a fairly good job keeping up with the loader. Most logs were removed, but we did let a few honey locust get pushed to the burn pile because we didn't have time to clear the thorns. Normally when I cut I take the time to buck up the limbs, but not when there is so much work to be done and so little time. We would cut the tops and then cut the roots off to get a majority of the logs.
A lot of work and I am sore. Bed is going to be nice tonight. I hope the FD takes it easy on me tomorrow.

That sounds like a sweet mix of hardwood. How many years of supply does this give you?

I really don't know. I took two truck and trailers full and will go back for some more locust. Three of us there burn so we will split it up, but I am so far ahead I don't really need the wood. I just enjoy running the saws and helping friends. It was so fun I'm ready to do another.

Last edited:
Looks like you brought the big guns out, (heavy equipment)!!!!! Looks awesome.

Looks like a fun day nothing better some buddies and some toys. Great way to spend a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.