best wood shed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I got the stout stuff. It's been fine for 5 years now.

Reactions: velvetfoot
begreen, is the back of your shed open too? so front and back are open and the sides have the lattice?

I made several 8 ft x 8 ft roofs using hot tub pallets which were 7 ft square
Put plywood on them and then a cover
on two I used metal roofing. the other 4 have tarps made from pool covers These have worked out great, were in expensive and with the tractor I can move them to the wood after its stacked.

IMG_0052.JPG IMG_0046.JPG IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lumber-Jack
I'm new to this, but needing to get a shed in place sometime in the next year. Would translucent roof panels on an open shed help compensate for those snow drift or sideways rain scenarios? Theoretically the sun exposure could help dry out the exposed wood that you need to use first.

I'm new to this, but needing to get a shed in place sometime in the next year. Would translucent roof panels on an open shed help compensate for those snow drift or sideways rain scenarios? Theoretically the sun exposure could help dry out the exposed wood that you need to use first.

I think just some slatting, or lattice like above would be fine. Wood getting rained on is inconsequential, and will dry in no time at all. The whole stack isnt gonna get soaked through just from some blowing rain

But the clear roof panels is an interesting idea. I know someone on here has a shed that uses those for roofing, it seems like it would indeed allow sun in, and keep moisture put

I need to start thinking about a wood shed at the new house I am building.

I got them at the local lumber yard but Lowes should be ok
This is what I am looking at doing (thought probably smaller), but wondered about a big wind getting under it.

Do you have anything other than the weight of the piers tying it to the ground?

This is what I am looking at doing (thought probably smaller), but wondered about a big wind getting under it.

Do you have anything other than the weight of the piers tying it to the ground?

A shed like that is gonna be pretty heavy on its own, let alone full of wood. Unless you live in tornado country I wouldn't worry too much about wind taking it away. Though to be extra safe it's yet another reason to have slatted sides for air flow. Lets the wood season and keeps the shed from playing sail :p

Is this an optical illusion? It looks like it's floating

127850-86cbb4b6cb46f56e3998ba6d01adb4ec.jpg

I think it's sitting on the forks on one side weatherguy ;lol

Yep I think that clear roofing would be great 1750, might have to try it if I ever build another shed

I think it's sitting on the forks on one side weatherguy ;lol

Yep I think that clear roofing would be great 1750, might have to try it if I ever build another shed

After I put the plywood on I used the forks to lift it up to make it easier to put pool cover tarp on.
The tractor saves me so much time and effort I use it whenever I can.
See other pic below

Home Depo has the clear plastic in 2 types. rounded ridges and rectangular ridges,
Rectangular will hold more snow load but both break if branch falls on it
IMG_0078.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.