Best Wood Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zimmerra

Dec 9, 2022
Gurnee, IL
Hello Everyone. I am looking to build a cabin/house in two years. I would like to put a wood stove in it. It will also have a furnance for when we are not present. I can get all the free firewood I want. I want a wood stove that looks nice, burns efficiently, and has a nice appeal (window in front).

What do you recommend?

First Floor will probably be about 1000 sq ft and second floor about 300 sq ft.

Here is the cabin I will probably build. https://www.coolhouseplans.com/plan_details.cfm?PlanNumber=43055&chp=5106

Note: I will not have fireplace as shown. I would rather have a wood burner that is more efficient.

Thanks in advance!

It will be build in SW Wisconsin.

'Best wood stove'.

There is no such thing. Do some searching. There's a lot of info already here to help narrow your scope.

Reactions: begreen
Ah, Wisconsin...my old stomping grounds. Nice country for a cabin. 🌳🤗
You might consider a stove that leans more in the direction of radiant heat output (cast iron or single-wall plate steel) rather than one that heats air (has side shields as a convective shell and pushes air around the inner box with a blower.) Of course, all stoves are some combination of convection and radiation. My thinking is that if you're mainly in the living room, you might be able to feel the IR radiation of a radiating stove if you're not too far away from it. Now, a convective stove will still radiate out of the window in that direction to a degree. Will the stove be in the spot that's labeled "fireplace" in the plans?
It's more of a challenge to heat the back bedrooms if doors will be closed, but with them open, and good insulation built into the house, they won't be all that cold. The upstairs bedroom will be toasty. May need a ceiling fan up there to it doesn't roast. Or close the door and crack the window.
One of the first things you'll learn here is that you need dry wood for efficient and safe operation of any stove. I split and stack my wood in the wind, top-covered only, for at least two years...three years for Oak. That will take the wood under 20% moisture content, where it burns great. An exception is Red Maple, which after split and stacked, will get dry in a year. Same probably holds true for Tulip Poplar, Pine and other lightweight woods.
It sounds like you have access to a woodlot. With experience (and a hatchet) you'll be able to ID wood, and also roughly assess its dryness. Get a moisture meter initially to help you, though, at builder's box stores or Harbor Fright.

Right now, some of my favorites are the Pacific Energy stoves. Non-cat simplicity in design and maintenance, and several trim options for a variety of looks.

Ok so not Best. But what would you recommend?
Some of us Cheezeheads can be a little curt in our responses to flat-landers. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: Dix
Too cold for politeness.
I just looked at my brother's weather, near Holy Hill. Right at freezing...damn near a heat wave! 😏

The best stove for you is the one that suits your needs. If this is secondary heater, and you start and stop it a lot, I'd suggest a nice steel stove. Pacific Energy, Quadrafire, Lopi, Drolet, Englander stoves, all of these are various prices and looks. The most important aspect always is good dry firewood. Dry firewood makes the least expensive stove awesome, while wet wood makes the most expensive (and the lowest priced) stove no fun to use. Good dry, seasoned wood- that's the key. Stay warm.

Reactions: FTG-05
The best stove for you is the one that suits your needs. If this is secondary heater, and you start and stop it a lot, I'd suggest a nice steel stove. Pacific Energy, Quadrafire, Lopi, Drolet, Englander stoves, all of these are various prices and looks. The most important aspect always is good dry firewood. Dry firewood makes the least expensive stove awesome, while wet wood makes the most expensive (and the lowest priced) stove no fun to use. Good dry, seasoned wood- that's the key. Stay warm.
What about Jotul or a soap stone? thanks

You want something that can heat up the place*quickly* but then also turn down enough to (merely) sustain.

I second that your first action should be to put up split wood now. The stove will be a PITA if you don't.

Welcome to the Forums!!! Coldest I have ever been in my life was horse shopping in Portage, WI, in January, -25F ;)

With a layout like that, the heat is going to rise to the 2nd floor, easily. Maybe a ceiling fan to push that warm air back down, and create a loop. Heating the back bedrooms on the lower level will be your challenge.

Get a larger firebox than one that is rated for your square footage, you'll thank me later . You can build a smaller fire in a big box, but not a larger fire in a smaller box.

And, I agree. Get a head on firewood now, if you can.

There is a big climate gap from here in NC to up there, but I’m on my second stove in an 1100sqf house. I wanted to downsize stoves for lower heat output.

It didn’t quite work.

Small stove in a small house is just as hot as a big stove in a small house.

I’ll probably do more research on cat stoves next time. I need to get 500 SST to warm the house from cold and turn it down to 350 SST to maintain comfort on nights in the upper 20s-30s.

I get lost on btu output, because of advertising tricks and is that btu from a fast hot burn or over an extended period? It’s still btus, but did it run you out of the house? Maybe I just need to switch from oak and hickory to soft woods. Maybe I need a damper. Maybe I need a cat stove. Maybe VC didn’t get this one dialed in.

So, although I’m not specifically recommending a stove, I’d say filter the reviews to find satisfied folks with your climate and space.

There are lots of knowledgeable folks here that can help, but don’t discount a negative review that doesn’t match your environment and living space. My stove may be too hot for me, but perfect for you, and yours may be too hot for you, but perfect for me.

Last edited:
Would you prefer Modern or more classic styling?

No, the best stove is the one that meets your needs. Whether that is consumption, burn time, heat output, aesthetics, maintenance cost - all while being able to function properly with the chimney and home you have.

Reactions: Dix
Here is my recommendation.. you have some time and do the research.. YOU need to figure out what will suit your needs. What is important to you, is it a long evenin burn.. then get a cat, do you want to feel more heat, get a cast stove, You dont mined some tepm spikes and an easier stove, get a tube stove. This site has alot of resources and many ways to educate yourself. No one here has any idea of whats important to you. You may recommend a tube stove for me, but I want to burn longer periods of time and lower for shoulder season, so even though your recommendation was good and may fit your lifestyle, this doesn't mean its a good choice for me..

On a side note.. that 3rd bedroom is going to be way hot.. all the warm air will be trapped in the top 1/3 of the ceiling.. So you need to figure out your stove placement.. bedrooms 1 and 2 will be cold as all the heat will be trapped in the top 1/3rd fo the ceiling. Your 2 priorities are 1..stove placement the keep the home feeling evenly warm 2...how to move the heat trapped upstairs.. while figuring out what stove features you want..

Wood storage.. if your there part time build a large wood shed, so you dont have to babysit the wood with tarps. processing begins now.. before stove purchase.. if you wait untill you get the stove, you'll have nothing to burn, or will be coming on here saying how terrible the stove you purchased is because it doesn't run right..

Reactions: stoveliker
"Best" is in the eyes and needs of the beholder. There are a host of determinants which may or may not be important to the stove owner. It is really an unanswerable question because ultimately this depends on the buyer's needs, likes, etc. To illustrate how complicated this can get, here is a short list of just some of the considerations:
  1. best looking
  2. best fit for home aesthetics
  3. best fit
  4. best service
  5. best cost
  6. lowest maintenance
  7. longest burn time
  8. highest heat output.
  9. lowest heat output
  10. best clearances
  11. best for a small space
  12. best for a large space
  13. best for an alcove
  14. lowest emissions
  15. easiest operation
  16. best longevity
  17. best hardware
  18. best features
  19. best blower
  20. top vent- rear vent?
  21. best for cooking or power outage
  22. largest capacity
  23. best support & parts
  24. best dealer network
  25. lowest cost of operation
  26. easiest installation
  27. availability

Reactions: VintageGal and BKVP
go bigger than u think i had a cast iron woodstove supposedly good for 1400sqft did well in newer house.moved to a 200yr old stone house hooked it up had to hug it took keep warm lol.bought one for 3600sqft heats half an open concept house go big.stone house 1200sqft one floor

Be careful of "Cool house plans". If you don't know how to design a house yourself, hire a person who does to
fit your needs. Or learn Sketchup.

Best is in the eyes and needs of the beholder. There are a host of determinants which may or may not be important to the stove owner. It is really an unanswerable question because ultimately this depends on the buyer's needs, likes, etc. To illustrate how complicated this can get, here is a short list of just some of the considerations:
  1. best looking
  2. best fit for home aesthetics
  3. best fit
  4. best service
  5. best cost
  6. lowest maintenance
  7. longest burn time
  8. highest heat output.
  9. lowest heat output
  10. best clearances
  11. best for a small space
  12. best for a large space
  13. best for an alcove
  14. lowest emissions
  15. easiest operation
  16. best longevity
  17. best hardware
  18. best features
  19. best blower
  20. top vent- rear vent?
  21. best for cooking or power outage
  22. largest capacity
  23. best support & parts
  24. best dealer network
  25. lowest cost of operation
  26. easiest installation
  27. availability
You forgot best for doughnut houses.

Go to multiple hearth shops. Now is perfect timing. They are ALL burning units now. Tell them you are going to be visiting them a few times before you invest in a wood stove. The good dealers might schedule your visit so you can have their attention. Sit and watch the shop interact with the stove.

Then repeat the process. Pick shops with diverse product lines. Bring your note pad. Take prodigious notes.

Come back here to check reviews. One thing for a new stove/install, really try to keep the install straight up and out. Hopefully you can avoid elbows knowing this up front.

Feel free to post floor plans here for suggestions on stove placement. Share those with the dealer(s) as well.

Start with this, narrow it down based upon all the above and then you'll have confidence in your final purchase decision.

BKVP

Reactions: stovelark
Keep in mind also when you’re thinking about stove size that though manufacturers tend to specify heating areas using square footage, the stove is actually heating cubic footage. While your intended square footage may be 1,300, your cubic footage is equivalent to that of a 2,000 square foot house or even more depending on the heights of the ceilings. Stove manufacturers’ square footage ratings are calculated assuming eight foot ceilings and a cool winter climate like the Pacific Northwest, not an extremely cold climate.

I commend you for planning to skip the fireplace and adding a woodstove. If you’re really serious about heating with wood, though, you might want to rethink a cabin plan that has such a high ceiling in the stove room. The heat will definitely rise up there, and even with a ceiling fan, you’ll have a lot of BTU’s going to empty space. (I do understand the appeal of the look, though.)