Better wood...better heat from the FV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sailor61

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Nov 28, 2006
Warwick, RI
Came up with some more completely seasoned hardwood yesterday...most mixed oak. Den/stove room temp was around 80 when I went to bed last night, balance of the house was 68 to mid 70s. Got up this morning to the den at 72 and rest of the place in the upper 66/8 range and it was an even 20 outside.

Had a good bed of coals remaining, tossed in 3 splits and the FV is cooking away again.

I know Woodstock has a cat probe thermometer available but given my install it would be very difficult to safely read it - would have to hang over the hot stove. Did some online looking and have seen at least one remote electronic cat therm - anyone have any experience using one of these with a FV or other Woodstock stove? Think ir was the Candor website that listed it.

Thanks!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Sailor,
Glad to hear that some better seasoned wood burned well in your FV... I'm mostly burning Silver Maple so I know my FV is not showing it's full potential as to heat output and burn times...although I did take down a standing dead elm the other day , which burned great!
Charlie

Even the difference between pretty good wood and good, dry wood is pronounced. Much better for me this year.
I know Woodstock has a cat probe thermometer available but given my install it would be very difficult to safely read it - would have to hang over the hot stove.
Here's what I did. BTW, in the Fv, the tip of the probe isn't where it needs to be to give a good cat reading...it's more of a cat/flue exit reading. I still find it useful, though...

Post #20.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/fireview-install-in-existing-fireplace.100259/#post-1285813

Sounds good Sailor. As for the probe, I think it would be nice but have not found it to be necessary so far. Shoot, this is our first stove where we've even used a stove top thermometer. We burned for many years without one and did well (with the exceptions of one stove, but that's another story).

We have a stovetop therm above the cat and a flue therm
Wired to the pipe about 8" above the stovetop (rest is in the flue) and that's all we have.

Glad the wood warmed things up!

Status
Not open for further replies.