Looking for a better solution

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If this stove is not installed to code and is a fire hazard I personally would not sink one dime of your own money to fix it correctly. There are laws on the books to protect renters from slumlords that do things cheep and unsafe to save a dime. You need to be looking at the laws that protect renters, not at how to fix the property owners stove.

Know your rights and demand that the landlord provides safe and reliable heat to you.

I'm with Mark. I wouldn't spend my own money to fix someone else's house.

If this stove is not installed to code and is a fire hazard I personally would not sink one dime of your own money to fix it correctly. There are laws on the books to protect renters from slumlords that do things cheep and unsafe to save a dime. You need to be looking at the laws that protect renters, not at how to fix the property owners stove.

Know your rights and demand that the landlord provides safe and reliable heat to you.

I do have safe and reliable heat in the form of a fairly new HVAC system. My landlord decided in 2016 that I had been a stellar tenant and as a result wanted to do something nice for me. I had asked about the fireplace when I first moved in but was told that I could not use it - so I did not. In 2016 they decided to "upgrade" the fireplace so I could use it. They had the liner installed and asked me about information on stoves. I tried to steer them to a different stove but this is what I ended up with. I'm actually grateful for it as it's made a difference, even though it frustrates me. I suspect if I do enough research they might allow me to trade the cost of the stove for my rent but in the meantime I'm basing my options and course of action on needing to buy it outright. I plan to be here for some time, and I have about four cords of really good wood I got for free last spring, so even if I buy a stove outright with the thought of putting theirs back when I leave I think I might come out ahead. I have a fantastic house that I rent from an amazing landlord at below market value so I'm willing to put myself out there. But thank you for your concern.

Reactions: Tar12
I do have safe and reliable heat in the form of a fairly new HVAC system. My landlord decided in 2016 that I had been a stellar tenant and as a result wanted to do something nice for me. I had asked about the fireplace when I first moved in but was told that I could not use it - so I did not. In 2016 they decided to "upgrade" the fireplace so I could use it. They had the liner installed and asked me about information on stoves. I tried to steer them to a different stove but this is what I ended up with. I'm actually grateful for it as it's made a difference, even though it frustrates me. I suspect if I do enough research they might allow me to trade the cost of the stove for my rent but in the meantime I'm basing my options and course of action on needing to buy it outright. I plan to be here for some time, and I have about four cords of really good wood I got for free last spring, so even if I buy a stove outright with the thought of putting theirs back when I leave I think I might come out ahead. I have a fantastic house that I rent from an amazing landlord at below market value so I'm willing to put myself out there. But thank you for your concern.

Just keep in mind the liability issues that can arise when you get involved installing something in someone else's house. Just make sure the landlord is the one who is responsible for the install so you don't get sued if the house burns down.

I doubt there is any money available to me from the landlord for this endeavor so I'd like to know where to look for an inexpensive used stove that would work for this situation in addition to what stove to look for. Ideally I would try to sell the one I have to use that money towards another but I'm not sure anyone would want this stove.

I do not know where in VA you are and how much you want to spend on a used stove, but I was on CL in VA and saw quite some interesting stoves.

There are also videos on You tube...they all seem to be happy with the stove.

Can you post links, or message them to me please? The only ones I saw were pre-EPA. Thank you.

all I ever saw around here too, old stuff for a ton of money more than the Englanders new price. or pretty close.
would keep an eye on the one you have, it wasent long before it started cracking around the base and it lets air in everywhere, under the plates. then it started to glow after being used, you know its getting leaks then

Reactions: BobMcG

Well, he could take the stove he bought with him or sell it when he leaves.

Better yet, he can tell the landlord that a heat source that requires loading every couple hours is inadequate, and negotiate a break on the rent to the tune of the price of the new stove plus labor. A lot of landlords will be agreeable to deals that increase the value of their property.

all I ever saw around here too, old stuff for a ton of money more than the Englanders new price. or pretty close.
would keep an eye on the one you have, it wasent long before it started cracking around the base and it lets air in everywhere, under the plates. then it started to glow after being used, you know its getting leaks then

Thanks for the heads up. A long time ago I had a stove that would glow, that was pretty freaky!

Well, he could take the stove he bought with him or sell it when he leaves.

Better yet, he can tell the landlord that a heat source that requires loading every couple hours is inadequate, and negotiate a break on the rent to the tune of the price of the new stove plus labor. A lot of landlords will be agreeable to deals that increase the value of their property.

Right. My hope is that whatever solution I end up with is one they would be willing to give me a rent credit for. My landlord has been pretty amazing so far so shall see what happens.

I personally wouldn’t do anything on your own without talking to the landlord first. Renters using wood stoves is usually a big no no for land lords, so it is cool that he was willing to help you out.
Do you know if it was professionally installed or if the land lord did it ? Looks like the liner was dropped in, hooked up, and they left.
Somewhat dangerous as it is now with the floor and uninsulated liner.
I would start with a block of plate of sorts, and some fans. Other than that discuss it with your landlord and mention your concerns with the installation. Don’t be afraid to show him this thread either for further reinforcements!

I personally wouldn’t do anything on your own without talking to the landlord first. Renters using wood stoves is usually a big no no for land lords, so it is cool that he was willing to help you out.
Do you know if it was professionally installed or if the land lord did it ? Looks like the liner was dropped in, hooked up, and they left.
Somewhat dangerous as it is now with the floor and uninsulated liner.
I would start with a block of plate of sorts, and some fans. Other than that discuss it with your landlord and mention your concerns with the installation. Don’t be afraid to show him this thread either for further reinforcements!

As far as I am aware the person that installed it is a professional. He also happens to be the chimney sweep. I am currently using two successive box fans bringing cold air towards the stove. I do plan to have a discussion with my landlord before making any changes or decisions. I just want to have all the information and options known before I go make a presentation about the situation.

Reactions: Tar12
A question about installation specifications. I see that stoves have a set amount of space needed between them and a combustible surface, which seems to vary depending on the make and model of stove. Given that the stove will be installed in an existing fireplace what should the clearances be? Is there a set amount of space, irregardless of model, that a stove should be from the wall of a masonry fireplace?

The clearance requirements are to combustibles. In a fireplace this usually means the mantel. Most stove clearance requirements will be lower than for the box stove currently installed. There will still be a need for better hearth protection in front of the stove than the current setup.

The clearance requirements are to combustibles. In a fireplace this usually means the mantel. Most stove clearance requirements will be lower than for the box stove currently installed. There will still be a need for better hearth protection in front of the stove than the current setup.

For sure. Do you know what those clearance requirements are?

For sure. Do you know what those clearance requirements are?

The stove's manual will specify in detail. Download the manual for all the stoves you're looking at while you are still in the planning stages.

Local codes could add restrictions on top of what the manual says, but I don't know how common that is.

If you're still thinking about the englander 13nc:

Image1107568845.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The stove's manual will specify in detail. Download the manual for all the stoves you're looking at while you are still in the planning stages.

Local codes could add restrictions on top of what the manual says, but I don't know how common that is.

If you're still thinking about the englander 13nc:

View attachment 222660
That is for the 13NCi which is definitely an option if the OP and landlord are ok with putting in an insert. I I was thinking the 13NC which is their freestanding stove. At this point it's unclear whether this is an issue. We don't know if there is a mantel and if there is, what are the distances.