Beware Ebay scams

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

theheatelement

Beware of Ebay scams... I recently purchased an Elbow from an individual on Ebay just to test it... First off it is made in India and is not UL or Inertek approved. Secondly, it was made of 26 gauge and not 24 gauge as advertised... and thirdly what I will warn everyone more then anything at all, is that the pipe was built the wrong way where the cresote will actually leak through the pipe because of the way it is made... I hope everyone make sure when they are ordering products of their safety and to install only products that are labeled by UL or Inertek.

I actually bought one from him last week too. Wanted to spend seven bucks to see what the rest of his stuff was probably like. What a piece of crap that thing is.

The liner kits he sells come from National Chimney Supply so they are good quality but that elbow is going on a shelf for show and tell. He is also selling "stainless" pipe that you can bet is the same foil junk as the elbows.

Hopefully these comments are reflected in the feedback left for the guy...

Gooserider

Look at the components that are mated with those kits though, they all look like cheap versions of what he sells for 9.95. I bet I know what he's doing, he's buying the liner and mating cheap components from India to the kit and then reselling below market value because he's saved so much on all of the components. Pretty risky in this day and age with inspectors being so good.

Gooserider said:

Gooserider

Hey goose, feedback is a tough game these days. most sellers won't leave any until the buyer leaves feedback first. kind of holding it over their head. alot of buyers are afraid to leave negative feedback because they fear they'll get neg'd back.

MagnaFlex said:
Look at the components that are mated with those kits though, they all look like cheap versions of what he sells for 9.95. I bet I know what he's doing, he's buying the liner and mating cheap components from India to the kit and then reselling below market value because he's saved so much on all of the components. Pretty risky in this day and age with inspectors being so good.

The kit picture is straight out of the National Chimney Supply catalog. They have been selling liners and chimney stuff since 1992. Just like Olympia and good old Sooty Bob the distributors just take the order and have them shipped direct.

http://www.nationalchimneysupply.com/ProductCatalog.pdf

SCFA said:
Gooserider said:

Gooserider

Hey goose, feedback is a tough game these days. most sellers won't leave any until the buyer leaves feedback first. kind of holding it over their head. alot of buyers are afraid to leave negative feedback because they fear they'll get neg'd back.

SCFA,
I thought they had a new type of anonymous feedback for that very reason. I used it myself a couple of times, but that was awhile ago. Have they removed that option? If not, the nice thing is that it has specific categories for accuracy of the description, quality of communication, etc. Which prompts the person leaving feedback to address the most important areas.
~Cath

SCFA said:
Gooserider said:

Gooserider

Well as a purchaser, I'm not that terribly worried, you do have the right to respond to neg feedback, and I would point out that it was retaliatory. I think E-bay has an appeal process as well to allow you to get unfair negs removed or changed.

Perhaps what is needed is "feedback escrow" where the feedback on each side of the equation is kept hidden until both parties have posted... Perhaps as an added incentive, after some reasonable time, a non-posting party could get an automatic "Neutral - didn't leave feedback" put on their record.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.