Big Box Store Stove Debate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SXIPro said:
Gio said:
SXIPro said:
Gio said:
SXIPro said:
I hate giving my money to HD. Worst customer service on the planet.

I don`t know that to be a fact so I won`t argue your point but why do yourself a disservice if they have what you want at the price you would be willing to pay?

Actual cost and value is not all about unit price. Pre and post sale service should always be factored in.

Yes, It`s a consideration if you don`t know what you are buying and when you know less about a product than the sales staff does. Home Depot isn`t known to be too proficient with either but with regards to their selling of Englander brand stoves it doesn`t require them them to know much. Englander Stove co takes responsibility for the service after sales.

That is terrific. I just don't care to help fund merchants that have crappy customer service. I'll pay more somewhere else. I won't shop at Walmart either, for this same reason along with a half dozen more reasons. I will reward good service, whether it be a good waitress or a hardware store.

That`s a choice we all make but I think you generalize too much and that you harbor a bias toward big box stores.
I rarely come across a bad waitress or salesperson myself and when I do I don`t hold the entire store hostage for the actions of one person.
True , In HD the sales folks aren`t always experts but I usually know exactly what I want and where it is so it`s not been an issue. Most of these folks are almost always friendly though.
I don`t look down on sales people in HD or cashiers in Wal Mart . I always try to treat them courteously , with respect and friendliness because I know many of them have difficulty making ends meet since they aren`t paid much and have few if any benefits. And 99% of the time I get the same friendly courteous treatment back from them.

I see the benefit of buying an Englander stove their unequaled customer services. What other stove out there can you contact the manufacturer directly and not only get a human, but one on one intructions on how to get it working properly. Granted, if you are not handy, this won't help you change out a part, but it seems to me that most of the time its just a control adjustment. One of my friends just bought one at HD and they did so on my advise. They were going to by a Baby like I have but I told them about the forum and the service from Mike and that clinched it. They did not want to spend thousands on a stove from a stove shop and they are both hands on people so it was an educated decision. SAo far they are thrilled with it. I even got them to join this forum!
(Although I haven't seen them post yet)

Chan

CWR said:
......So far they are thrilled with it. I even got them to join this forum! (Although I haven't seen them post yet)

Chan

Chan, you tell your friends to post pics of their new install, and post them NOW!!!!!! :lol: Don't they know we love pics of new installs?

summit said:
I fixed an Englanger 25pvdc the other day... Its was pretty simple setup... Initial problem the folks had was a clogged elbow where it turned into the chimn'ys SS liner. Went to turn it on, and only the upper auger was turning. long story short, I tested the lower motor, it was junk... The guy ordered one up from the company, delivered to our shop.. we had it in a few days.
As i said before, the setup was pretty simple. taking the auger motor on and off was a pain because of the bolted on L bracket (I Just pulled it all apart after a minute of trying to sniper the wrench and socket in there. And the set screw on the joiner to the screw and motor sucks... Please, Mike H: use a hex screw or an alan screw in the future!! those square headed units suck, as sockets will not fit on and round the egdes, and w/ a 3/8 wrench, you are moving it only 1/16th at a time.
I didn't see any snap disc for the fan, but I wasn't looking too hard, either... but the electric diagram on the back panel was very blurry, and on a couple ends on it I couldn't read the type to tell what was at it, but how does that thing know its at temp? Also, the 2 vac switches seemed a little redundant.... It ran well once I got it going, threw a fairly respectable amount of heat... although I have to think it would surely crank with some exchange tubes or accordians or something other than the flat steel box to focus the heat thru.

I had to un-jam my upper auger a couple weeks ago and used a 12 point socket on the square head.

I went to at least 5 independent stove shops and the only 2 places I would have bought a stove from didn't have any stoves in wanted or needed. And 1 of them I used to work for years ago. The others were way out of line in attitude and prices. I went to all the big boxes and tractor supplyy couldn't or wouldn't sell me the stove I wanted at a reasonable price. Ended up buying one on line. Like my purchase then and still do 2 years later. For the money, its been good. I wouldn't let the someone else install the stove anyway. Certain cases the specialty shops are good but for the most part, do some homework and do it yourself. I've got a true value in my town that I will pay a l;ittle extra for not having to travel to a big box, and his stuff can sometimes be better. I like the guy and respect him because he is trying to make a living doing business against the big boxes. But if his price gets to far out of line I go to the HD or Lowes. I bought pellets at a big box because of price and will do so again. If a pellet dealer can make me a good deal, I'll buy from them.
Oh ya, get a King stove !

Schoondog

mscj said:
macman said:
If so, and that's a new (not refurbished or a "return") stove, $1099 is a GREAT price.

Come on down to the middle of nowhere, saw that stove cheaper last year around this time (about $750 I think).....

Geez... a 1500 sq. ft. pellet stove? Bigger than my house!!!

macman said:
CWR said:
......So far they are thrilled with it. I even got them to join this forum! (Although I haven't seen them post yet)

Chan

Chan, you tell your friends to post pics of their new install, and post them NOW!!!!!! :lol: Don't they know we love pics of new installs?

Macman, I will try. I have another couple I walk the dogs with who also bought an Englander at HD. (Without my help). I told them about the forum as well. So, I have two people who could, should, share their installs. Now all I have to do is convice them we don't bite here :)

Chan

mscj said:
Bought my stove at Tractor Supply locally-for me, price was a big factor as I had a budget to hit. We caught it on clearance for $999, then got 25% off that during a "family night" sale they had. Complete bill of materials from hearth to pipe was about $1400. Used to work on cars for a living, so maintenance/repairs isn't a big deal. US Stove's warranty service has been good to me already....control board was bad right after install, they shipped me a new one overnight Saturday delivery so I wouldn't have to wait to burn.

Well, now we know which one not to buy! ;-P

Souzafone said:
Why would anyone buy something so expensive from a Walmart type place? Is it the service, or the availability of parts? You get what you pay for.

I think it's hilarious people are typecasting about customer service, while England's Stoveworks - manufacturer of 2 out of the 3 stoves brought up here - has representatives posting in the very same thread, with widely praised customer service to boot. No, I don't even dare ask a Wal-Mart employee where the bathroom is in their store. That doesn't stop me from getting a good deal on a stove at Lowe's. But bully for anyone who wants to spend more, right?

Its $899 now Macman in Fishkill. I may pick one up this weekend.

Hello

Salem NH Lowes - No Sales Tax - Store Grand Openning Nov 15, 2010

$899.0 on Sale - Reg $999.00

Attachments

• Big Box Store Stove Debate
    55-SHP10L.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 451
I have no problem buying from a big box store, often it's a necessity budget wise. I recently bought a St. Croix, the specific model I wanted and we really needed for the space, but had I not gotten extremely lucky and tripped over a phenomenal deal on it, I would have been buying my stove at one of the big boxers.
Anyone goes into a big boxer thinking they're going to get great customer service, or someone who has much in the way of knowledge about the specific item your looking at is kidding themselves. By the same token, going to a dealer doesn't always guarantee great customer service either. But in this age of abundant information available on the net, and forums like this, you can self-educate yourself, I think it's more important to know if the company that makes the product is responsive if you need to contact them.

I have no problem with my Us Stove 5500. TSC does me good. Tech support helped me with initial install.

Big box stores are a pretty good fit in todays world. As others have said, the internet makes it easy to evaluate , compare and learn much of what is needed of a big ticket item prior to purchase. The advice and knowledge from a salesperson isn`t nearly as necessary as it once was.

OK here is my 2 cents worth

I have bought various appliances from the large "big box" stores.

Yessss they do buy in huge volume and offer prices that are inviting.
Do they offer good service after the sale ??? probably not.

Are the extended warranties they offer any good ?? depends a lot on the store.

The last big ticket item I bought (washer) failed and needed a part, the store had gone out of business and I was stuck to fix the problem myself.

As far as stoves go, unless you can install it yourself and fix it yourself all the way, I would buy from a local "stove shop" that has been in the business a long time and has a reputation for good service.

Yess you will pay more for the stove, but you should expect and recieve far better service than from a "Mart type store"

My self I sniff around the edges and buy used equipment off Craigslist and make whatever repairs are needed and go from there.

I relaize that many folks are not able to do these things and the Pro sales and service shops are the only choice.

If you can do the install and possibly some repairs yourself, the big box deals can be great.

If you need or require the services of a professional, then the small stove shop is likely the best option.

I have made connections with a few wholesalers around the area, and can obtain most anything I need or want at far below retail anyway.

I might also say this.
In some cases, the stuff that the big box stores offer can be slightly different than the regular item at the small stores.

Often the big box stores will spec out a particular item with certain features and such and at a volume price.

This can mean that what you buy at the "MART" is not exactly like what you get from the regular retail outlet under the name brand.

I dont know if the stove companies do this but it is worth keeping in mind.

Just some thoughts.

Snowy

I'm really looking forward to see if my SummersHeat SHP10 drops at the end of the year this year like they did last year. Our local store had them for about $600-$700 at the end of the year.

The reason why is this........

To replace my
auger motor--130 is each=260
Combustion Motor--------138
convection Motor----------131
control panel--------------217
Augers--------------------- 30ish
Other parts---------------$$$

I know these things last for a while but things do happen.

So Im thinking if I see one on sale again super cheap I may buy one to pull from If I ever need any parts.

Having spare parts is a good thing.

Build a big garage and have a couple spare stoves all ready to go in the corner ;-)

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.