Sound Deadening on a Pellet Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
Anyone have any thoughts on using butyl self-adhesive sheets to mute vibrations (and thus some noise as well) on the non-heated surfaces of a pellet stove? Specifically an Englander 25 PDVC. I have a box of butyl 80mil sheets intended for the car and was thinking about one in the hopper, one on the inside of the back panel and one on the combustion blower removable panel on the left side of the stove, with cutouts where the factory vent holes are. None of these surfaces are hot to the touch, but I'm curious if this has been done (surely someone has) and if so, was it effective? Love the stove, but I love a quiet room too.

Thanks.

i would check with you insurance company. Now you are modifying the stove and if something were to happen your insurance may not cover you

Reactions: Washed-Up
I did this with a Mt. Vernon AE. I only have one picture, but I did this on a few of the cover panels. This is a quiet stove to begin with. I did not notice much difference.

20210819_085242.jpg

So since I had it half apart to change out the combustion blower, I opted to use maybe 2 kilmat tiles. I didn't take photos but I will the next time I have to go in there and post them here in case anyone refers to this thread in the future.

I went around the stove and basically tapped on all the various panels to find where I thought there was either a tinny resonance or at least likely metal on metal vibration point and applied kilmat to those places. The combustion blower access panel has vents on it, probably for a reason so I avoided using much there, but I did put a couple strips along the vertical ridges between the screw holes, effectively making it a gasket of sorts, so the kilmat touches the stove body instead of the metal of the panel. Applied about a third of a sheet on the inside of each side panel in the rear, near to top and about a sheet and a half on the inside of the rear panel.

All this and honestly I can't tell you what effect it has had on my stove since my biggest noise source was the old combustion motor, which I could clearly hear quite loudly...with the kilmat and the new combustion motor installed its almost silent now. It used to be a bit quieter than a hair dryer, but not by much, now I have to keep looking at it to make sure its on...the auger motor makes more noise.