1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Big chainsaw troubles..... help needed

Post in 'The Gear' started by hemlock, Apr 10, 2013.

1. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    When it loosened up it wiped the key off the flywheel? I'd think the casting/machining would make it difficult to cast a key into a flywheel(could be wrong)

New flywheel is $76 here
    http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=husqvarna&mn=365 Special EPA (1999-11)&dn=082960011

It's an M8X1 nut which I believe is 28-32N-m torque spec
    If the flywheel moves it'll be the equivalent of an engine "jumping time"
    Except this one's spinning at what? 12k+ rpm - Hopefully there's enough safety margin built into the jug/casing to hold it together

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

That's the way many small flywheels are made now.

Hemlock,

I wouldn't attempt to run the saw again until you get a replacement flywheel. The current flywheel will most likely shift position a bit every time the saw accellerates/decellerates and while starting. I would order a new flywheel and make sure the nut is torqued to spec. Definitely do not use loc-tite on that taper, as that will make future removal unnecessarily difficult.
    Joful likes this.
  3. nate379

nate379 Guest

I'd just cut a keyway into the flywheel before spending $75 on a new one! If you aren't setup to do it, bring it to machine shop with a case of beer. ;)
    Joful likes this.
  4. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    ... also has a lower likelihood of shearing again, if you use a standard key in the new slot, versus a casting.
  5. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Keep in mind that the shear strength of the key just may have been engineered into the saw to prevent excessive energy from being transferred to the crankshaft in the event it comes to a very sudden stop. (although such an event would be rare on a saw.) If I were to cut a keyway into the flywheel and locate or make a suitable key, it would definitely be an aluminum key.
  6. There are plenty of flywheels available on ebay for < $35. I'd just replace it and be done worrying about it.
  7. hemlock

hemlock Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    east coast canada
    Ordered a new flywheel. Should be here in a couple of days. I ran it for an hour or so with the old flywheel, but it made me noervous. I think it was going slightly out of time. It dieseled after shutting it off when I went to refuel.

Edit - of course, now I can't get the old flywheel off. Is feathering it with a torch a bad idea?
  8. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Wedge it with wooden wedge driven in snug and back the nut off 1 turn. Give it a good sharp rap with a hammer (The nut should be in position to protect the threads and the end of the shaft.) and it will pop loose.