Big-E ignitor "issue"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snikr

Sep 14, 2008
Wallingford, VT
All of a sudden my Big-E will not start the pellets on fire. I've not had any problems with it till about 2 1/2 weeks ago. After I cleaned the stove I went to start it back up and it didn't start. All it did was fill the burn pot with pellets and shut down. I dumped the pot out and reinserted it and it started up. It has happened a few more times since. What did I do wrong or what needed to be cleaned or replaced?? The way I figure it could be 3 things.

1) The burn pot was put in wrong

2) The ignitor is dirty (not covered how to clean in the manual that I know of)

3) The ignitor is going.

OK what ideas does anyone have. TIA

'Tom

snikr said:
All of a sudden my Big-E will not start the pellets on fire. I've not had any problems with it till about 2 1/2 weeks ago. After I cleaned the stove I went to start it back up and it didn't start. All it did was fill the burn pot with pellets and shut down. I dumped the pot out and reinserted it and it started up. It has happened a few more times since. What did I do wrong or what needed to be cleaned or replaced?? The way I figure it could be 3 things.

1) The burn pot was put in wrong

2) The ignitor is dirty (not covered how to clean in the manual that I know of)

3) The ignitor is going.

OK what ideas does anyone have. TIA

'Tom

Where is the damper? It should be more than 1/2 way on ignition.

Eric

I have had problems with my big-e self-igniting for ages. seems to be very picky. All of this year, I have started a small fire with a propane torch(plumbing type) in both my stoves to start them up, Fire up was much faster and less a headache of watching wondering... forget the ignitor and take the 5 minutes out out of your life wondering, waiting.

snikr said:
Eric,

The damper is just a bit over half way open.

Tom

Is it the cast or s/s burn pot? I have seen MANY cast burn pots that the hole in front of the ignitor needed to be drilled out a "little". Do not get carried away.

Eric

Mine is the cast pot Eric. I had the same problem last night when I tried to "fire up" the Big-E. I have it set on #2 and it just about filled the pot without starting a fire. When I stopped it and took the pot out to empty it the ignitor was glowing but it wouldn't start a fire. Put it on #1 and the Ignitor worked.
Are you saying I need to make the hole a bit bigger Eric? I'm now trying the #1 setting to get it started and then set in where I need it. It's funny that it's just in the last couple of weeks I'm having problems with it starting when all winter it started a fire with no problems.

Tom

snikr said:
Mine is the cast pot Eric. I had the same problem last night when I tried to "fire up" the Big-E. I have it set on #2 and it just about filled the pot without starting a fire. When I stopped it and took the pot out to empty it the ignitor was glowing but it wouldn't start a fire. Put it on #1 and the Ignitor worked.
Are you saying I need to make the hole a bit bigger Eric? I'm now trying the #1 setting to get it started and then set in where I need it. It's funny that it's just in the last couple of weeks I'm having problems with it starting when all winter it started a fire with no problems.

Tom

Starting the stove it does not matter what level you have it on. As long as the on/off light is flashing the stove is in start up, you have no control.

Yes enlarge the ignitor hole in your cast burn pot. Do not get carried away.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
......Yes enlarge the ignitor hole in your cast burn pot. Do not get carried away.

Eric

Eric, maybe you can give him a "ballpark" figure on what size hole he needs?

imacman said:
kinsman stoves said:
......Yes enlarge the ignitor hole in your cast burn pot. Do not get carried away.

Eric

Good answer, Eric. Better watch out, though, imac may be runnin' you out of business with his technical expertise.

imacman said:
kinsman stoves said:

Eric

Does this mean I don't need a 1" hole in the burn pot to get it working right?? ;)

I think it was originally a 3/8 hole and I went to 1/2 inch on my neighbor's. Check your hole size and go about an 1/8 inch more. It made a difference on his. His did the same lite OK when stove was on the dirty side. Nice fresh cleaning and it wouldn't lite for beans. Pretty sure there is and old post hear some where?????

P.S. I used one of those long uni bits. Was much safer than using a standard bit. If you must use standard bit HANG ON! Clamp the pot in a vice!

jtakeman said:
<snip>

P.S. I used one of those long uni bits. Was much safer than using a standard bit. If you must use standard bit HANG ON! Clamp the pot in a vice!
Being a machinist I know all about "hanging on" when drilling a hole out a bit bigger.

Tom

snikr said:
jtakeman said:
<snip>

Being a machinist I know all about "hanging on" when drilling a hole out a bit bigger.

Tom

This was not directed at anyone but more of a safety first!thing. We are not the only ones that may attempt this fix. Someone may get a surprise and or hurt in the process!

Keep it less than 1/2 inch.

hossthehermit said:
imacman said:
kinsman stoves said:

Eric

Good answer, Eric. Better watch out, though, imac may be runnin' you out of business with his technical expertise.

Not to worry about that....Eric is one of the guys on here that I'd trust 100% when it comes to technical things.

Hoss, you on the other hand, unfortunately have no technical experience at anything, as evidenced by your non-committal, wishy-washy, no-help-at-all answers on the forum. One of your most common answers is "BUT, that’s just MY opinion"...

Status
Not open for further replies.