Big E on batteries

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pellet9999

Sep 3, 2008
ny
Power needs for the Big E by Breckwell

Postby Dennis on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:18 pm
Power needs for the Big E Pellet Stove by Breckwell

1-RPM Auger Motor - 0.45 AMPS – 50 watts
Combustion Blower – 1.6 AMPS – 176 watts
Convection Blower – 1.5 AMPS – 165 watts
Hot Rod Igniter – 2.72 AMPS – 300 watts
Total AMPS – 6.27 AMPS with 1-RPM Auger Motor
691 Watts of electricity during start-up and 391 Watts during normal operation with 3.55 Amps

Anyone rig up a pellet stove with new motors that use less watts???
I was wondering if I could retrofit my Big E with a combustion motor that uses much less juice than the stock..
I know Thelin stoves manage to do it...I'd like to put the igniter on a manual switch and get the total watts for running down to 150 max.
The auger motor is what it is ,but the others should be riggable... anyone do this?? I dont care about the warranty,its gone anyway..

Well with that low of amp draw almost any medium sized inverter would do, I have a 1KV ups on mine incase the power goes out but it just gives me the 20-30 minutes to shut it down cleanly or fire up a generator. The amp hrs required would take a nice battery bank and a hell of a solar panel or small wind generator if you wanted to run on battery only.

pellet9999 said:
Power needs for the Big E by Breckwell

Postby Dennis on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:18 pm
Power needs for the Big E Pellet Stove by Breckwell

1-RPM Auger Motor - 0.45 AMPS – 50 watts
Combustion Blower – 1.6 AMPS – 176 watts
Convection Blower – 1.5 AMPS – 165 watts
Hot Rod Igniter – 2.72 AMPS – 300 watts
Total AMPS – 6.27 AMPS with 1-RPM Auger Motor
691 Watts of electricity during start-up and 391 Watts during normal operation with 3.55 Amps

Anyone rig up a pellet stove with new motors that use less watts???
I was wondering if I could retrofit my Big E with a combustion motor that uses much less juice than the stock..
I know Thelin stoves manage to do it...I'd like to put the igniter on a manual switch and get the total watts for running down to 150 max.
The auger motor is what it is ,but the others should be riggable... anyone do this?? I dont care about the warranty,its gone anyway..

Does the convection blower come on as soon as you start the stove, or after it gets up to temp?

My Astoria doesn't have the convection blower and ignitor going at the same time.....the ignitor shuts off when the convection blower comes on (or maybe a little before that?).

If that's the case w/ your BigE, the you have to subtract the 165 watts during startup. Then subtract the ignitor watts, but add the convection blower watts when running "normally".

It that right, or am I missing something here?

Convection motor with a psc motor (one that uses a run capacitor) will draw less amps then a shaded pole motor that is used on most small fans.

I did use a kill a watt and yes it was 2.3 on heat2 2.5 on setting 3 I dont use any other settings. amps.. The watts on an induction motor dont mean anything.
anyway 2.5 is too many. I want 1.0 amps max for the combustion and even less for the convection. I dont know who makes efficient ac motors but they are out there. The junk that
Breckwell uses is the cheapest junk that is made in Taiwan.

Status
Not open for further replies.