Big E, Pel Pro,Glow Boy Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainecumminspwr

Feb 17, 2009
Poland Spring Maine
Hello all. I have been lurking for a long while and decided to sign up as I am getting ready to purchase a pellet stove for the first time. For the past 8 years I have been cutting ,splitting stacking, loading and stacking in my wood box an average of 8 cords each and every year and am tired of it. I was burning an Oslo 500 in the back room (28x32 with 22ft cathedral ceiling) and a Fisher Mama Bear in the main part of the house (2200 sq ft cape style).This year I closed off the back room and only burning the front stove.I have gone through around 6 cord of dry ash already.I will be replacing the Fisher with a pellet unit. I have narrowed down my search to The Breckwell Big E, Pel Pro 120 and the Glow Boy 120 (Pel Pro and Glow Boy made by Dansons).I would prefer to deal and support locally for many reasons. I went to local dealer that had both Glow Boy and Big E today and both were priced at $2050. Both units had big window and ash pan. There were a few differences beetween the 2 but either one would work for me. Aubuchon has the Pel Pro but in the Picture it looks like no ashpan.The unit was $1699. Also Ruralking has the Big E with large window with no ashpan delivered here for $1350. I dont see an option for the ashpan listed on any of these.Why is it on the units at the dealer but not at Ruralking or Aubuchons? Do any of you have any input or opinions on this? This site has been a very valuable tool thus far.Thanks for all the great info!

Hey and welcome to the forums,

I don't know about the Danson stoves, But I had a BigE and I really don't think that stove is going to be BIG enough for your needs. Read the manual on the BigE, You can download it at Breckwell site. You can't run that stove on the 5(max) setting for more than 2 hours. You'd be pushing that stove to it's limits on the really cold days.

If you totally want to get away from the wood. Get a bigger stove!

I recommend the Omega or the Maxx from Enviro. They are both great stoves. There is also the The Hudson River Stove Works. West Point. These stoves are 60,000 to 70,000 BTU's and RUN THERE ALL DAY LONG!

Your gonna pay a little more, But you will be warmer!! Or you could buy 2 BigE's.

Check here for links to the stove sites:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/35212/

Have fun stove shopping and Let us know what you get!
Jay

Thank you for the info Jay.I must apologize for not including more info. As it is now we still use the oil fired hot air furnace for heating when needed (wood stove goes out,really cold etc)and plan to continue to do so. I was also looking at the Enviro Maxx.The stove is in a different class than the ones I was currently looking at but only about $700 more than what I was quoted by the dealer so.........more options to consider.I like to buy more,bigger and better on most of my purchases.......drives the wife crazy.Thanks

Well for one thing , you are trading time for cash, free wood = TIME , pellets = CASH. I have a Big E small window. I like the stove , could be quieter , no major malfunctions so far ,4 years . Pellet stoves are area heaters , not whole house heaters . Unless you buy a pellet furnace . To heat a big area I would say you would use like a ton to a ton and a half a month , I used 48 bags in January this year heating 1000 sqft. So at todays prices lets say 8-10 tons for a season your talking like $ 2400-3000 .

jtakeman said:

I don't know about the Danson stoves, But I had a BigE and I really don't think that stove is going to be BIG enough for your needs. Read the manual on the BigE, You can download it at Breckwell site. You can't run that stove on the 5(max) setting for more than 2 hours. You'd be pushing that stove to it's limits on the really cold days.

I recommend the Omega or the Maxx from Enviro. They are both great stoves. There is also the The Hudson River Stove Works. West Point. These stoves are 60,000 to 70,000 BTU's and RUN THERE ALL DAY LONG!

Your gonna pay a little more, But you will be warmer!! Or you could buy 2 BigE's.

Jay

Please remember the stove does not make the heat. The fuel makes the heat. If you want 70,000 BTU that is approx. 8 lbs of pellets per hour and the stove does not make more BTUs. Bigger is not always better. Yes two stoves are better than one. You might want to look into a furnace and not a stove.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
jtakeman said:

Jay

Please remember the stove does not make the heat. The fuel makes the heat. If you want 70,000 BTU that is approx. 8 lbs of pellets per hour and the stove does not make more BTUs. Bigger is not always better. Yes two stoves are better than one. You might want to look into a furnace and not a stove.

Eric

Yep, And If you want 55,000 BTU's. Don't buy a BigE. If there was ever a stove over rated. The bigE is one of them.

Impossible to get 55,000 btu from 5 lbs of fuel.

Omega at 60,000 btu's is 7.8 lbs of fuel per hour and the Maxx at 70,000 BTU's is 8.3 lbs. of fuel per hour.

That was my suggestion in the other thread I link him to. Buy a furnace if you want to really heat your house. A stove is really just a heater not a furnace!!!!

jay

Thank you for the additional info.I am still looking at the different units and do appreciate all of your input.

would you consider an inline addition of a pellet boiler?

could set it up as the primary and use the oil for keeping the storage hot

I had given that some thought as well.The problem being no easy way to access the basement (no bulkhead) so would have to go through the house and down the stairs with pellets.Also the basement is quite cold and drafty.There are two adjoining crawlspaces to the maine foundation.One is with a dirt floor with the above room heated (this is where the Fisher is now)and the other is 4ft high poured unheated room above that is shut down/closed off for winter.As it is I need to devise a way to block off the "cut outs" into these two crawlspace areas as the cold air from them enters the main foundation.It is somewhat difficult as the huge returns and supplies for the hot air furnace access the different areas of the house through these. I have gotten a good price on a Enviro Maxx and was thinking this would give me the capacity,if needed, that the big e or glow boy would not be able to provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.