Big elm score!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwhunter85

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 21, 2010
Sunfield, MI
I got some big rounds!! They sure are heavy, had to drag out behind the truck. I have about 10 more to go get! IMAG0229.jpg

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
I really hope you have a splitter......;)

Reactions: ScotO
Those are some huge rounds.
Gonna make some nice splits.
I've heard it's a tough wood to split. Let us know :)

You have my sincere condolences.

I've never seen Elm that was a reddish color inside when cut, but all we have here is American Elm; maybe this is another type. Or maybe it's just the light in this shot.

Sometimes Elm will split grudgingly with an axe. I usually avoid Elm, but: A co-worker cleared land to build a house last year, and he asked me if I wanted 7 cords of Ash he had cut down. Of course I said yes, and when I went to get it, what do you think? It was Elm, and only two truckloads. But hey, it was free, so I bucked it up and took it home. Splitting with an axe was impossible, and I ripped all the blocks with the chainsaw to get them into stove size pieces (I don't have a splitter).

It will be good wood, though, when you're finished. If it's Rock Elm, it will be superb! Enjoy.

hmm....

i've never seen red (slippery) elm that big around here so i'm guessing that to be american elm? if so, it's a beech to split.

hmm....

i've never seen red (slippery) elm that big around here so i'm guessing that to be american elm? if so, it's a beech to split.
The color of the pic might not be accurate...everything seems to have a reddish cast to it. But yeah, if it's American Elm, he'll be wishing it was Red Elm when he tries to split it. :oops:

BWHunter - I was wondering...by the size of the spits in the back ground, what the HECK are you burning them in??

Oh, and I think you are dealing with red elm.

So, is Red Elm easier to spit?

BWHunter - I was wondering...by the size of the spits in the back ground, what the HECK are you burning them in??

Oh, and I think you are dealing with red elm.

I burn in a US STOVE HOTBLAST 1557M. Were you thinking the splits were too big or too small?

There are some darn big splits in that pile. Not familiar with the hotblast.

Edit: you made me learn something new today. Its a furnace. You will probably be fine with the big splits.

That furnace will take a 26" or longer split. I burned plenty of 10-12" dead ash rounds that were 2' long or more, but my wife had a little trouble with them. I still have a cord or more to cut down to fit in my stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.