Big oak down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dairyman

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2011
Southwest MO
Looks like a good one for tomorrow if all goes well, any tips?

Attachments

• 2011-12-30_15-15-52_166-1.jpg
    2011-12-30_15-15-52_166-1.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 581
  • 2011-12-30_15-15-25_203-1.jpg
    2011-12-30_15-15-25_203-1.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 580
  • 2011-12-30_15-17-20_335-1.jpg
    2011-12-30_15-17-20_335-1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 599
  • 2011-12-30_15-20-52_334-1.jpg
    2011-12-30_15-20-52_334-1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 563
Pop that root ball off right away and be prepared to run. If you start from the top, as the weight is removed, I have had root balls stand back up. It can be dangerous if you are caught in the wrong place.

Just be extra darn careful. I don't like cutting trees that are still attached to the root ball. I had one darn near get the best of me. I thought it was going to pick me up and throw me.

Jags said:
Pop that root ball off right away and be prepared to run. If you start from the top, as the weight is removed, I have had root balls stand back up. It can be dangerous if you are caught in the wrong place.

Just be extra darn careful. I don't like cutting trees that are still attached to the root ball. I had one darn near get the best of me. I thought it was going to pick me up and throw me.

+1 Take the big end first!

smokinjay said:
Jags said:

Gotcha. Just a little nervous never tackled one this big.

Dairyman said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

Gotcha. Just a little nervous never tackled one this big.

Wedge it on every cut. Once weight hits the bar its very hard to get it out. I stuck 3 saws back in 2006 on one. 260,361,460....Glad threr was no camra. Had to run to the dealer and buy another bar.

Couple years ago here in Maine a grandpa was out cutting like this with his grandkids around. He didn't realize that they had gone into the hole where the trunk had been. The stump went over when he released the downed tree.. and killed the two kids.

Please be careful when cutting. I cut a big oak like this last week. Scared me even doing it right. Started popping and shaking the ground. I was out of the way.. but that's a whole lot of energy crashing down.

JP

Dairyman, you have some good equipment. Don't be afraid to use it.

I know Jay loves his wedges but through the years I have used them very, very little as I've not needed them. I guess it goes back to cutting logs like that when I was logging and even felling trees we rarely used wedges. Always had them handy but rarely used them. If you are careful you need not get pinched and you will know if the log will pinch you before you even start the cut. But if you are unsure, then by all means, use them.

Backwoods Savage said:
Dairyman, you have some good equipment. Don't be afraid to use it.

I know Jay loves his wedges but through the years I have used them very, very little as I've not needed them. I guess it goes back to cutting logs like that when I was logging and even felling trees we rarely used wedges. Always had them handy but rarely used them. If you are careful you need not get pinched and you will know if the log will pinch you before you even start the cut. But if you are unsure, then by all means, use them.

Big problem with one that size is when its pinched there is not a way to get it out. Even a 3 saw plan can go wrong... ;-)

It sure can Jay and I've seen it happen. Just lucky that it never happened to me....yet. But then, my days of cutting the big stuff is done, thankfully.

Backwoods Savage said:
It sure can Jay and I've seen it happen. Just lucky that it never happened to me....yet. But then, my days of cutting the big stuff is done, thankfully.

Mine to Nothing over 45 ever again! I will not have a back left if I keep doing those big ones!

Wow, thats a whopper for sure, be careful

JP11 said:
Couple years ago here in Maine a grandpa was out cutting like this with his grandkids around. He didn't realize that they had gone into the hole where the trunk had been. The stump went over when he released the downed tree.. and killed the two kids.

Please be careful when cutting. I cut a big oak like this last week. Scared me even doing it right. Started popping and shaking the ground. I was out of the way.. but that's a whole lot of energy crashing down.

JP
Oh my God, I wish I had not read that. How awful. Be careful! If you doubt, doubt some more and figure a new plan. I have been careful all my life, and trust me, it can still sneak up on you :-S

I have to say I would not consider cutting at the root ball first. That tree could run backward on you very easily. My approach is always to start at the top and completely process top down. I have had one stand up on me, but it was completely predictable. The tree starts to lift as the wieght is removed, so you can see your getting close. It is ever so easy to predict direction and stay out of harms way when doing it this way too. If she stands up, you get to drop a short tree is all! Either way, be careful.

Dairyman,

I don't know if this will help or not but I just put up this video of bucking a blowdown so you can see how fast the stump stands up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO9MGuFl5fs

Just remember the rootwad side wants to go up and the tree side may or may not want to go down which is why it is easy to get your bar pinched.

The video alone didn't do it justice so I included a still so you can see how big the root wad is.

Sorry I can't help and share in the bounty. I never get to deal with Oak.

Attachments

• IMG_6981.jpg
    IMG_6981.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 409
skyline said:
Dairyman,

I don't know if this will help or not but I just put up this video of bucking a blowdown so you can see how fast the stump stands up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO9MGuFl5fs

Just remember the rootwad side wants to go up and the tree side may or may not want to go down which is why it is easy to get your bar pinched.

The video alone didn't do it justice so I included a still so you can see how big the root wad is.

Sorry I can't help and share in the bounty. I never get to deal with Oak.
Scary stuff! :ahhh:

Had a busy day on the farm and some honeydews so I didn't get to the tree as soon as I would've liked. Got the root ball cut off, went better than I thought she just flopped back in her hole no bar pinching at all. 53 inch at its max and 45 at it minimum. The ol' 440 just purred along, it's getting dark so the rest will wait till tomorrow.

Attachments

• 2011-12-31_17-30-57_377-1.jpg
    2011-12-31_17-30-57_377-1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 322
  • 2011-12-31_17-33-49_654-1.jpg
    2011-12-31_17-33-49_654-1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 329
Dairyman said:
Had a busy day on the farm and some honeydews so I didn't get to the tree as soon as I would've liked. Got the root ball cut off, went better than I thought she just flopped back in her hole no bar pinching at all. 53 inch at its max and 45 at it minimum. The ol' 440 just purred along, it's getting dark so the rest will wait till tomorrow.
Wow, that thing is solid all the way through. Gonna be a lot of wood from that baby. Seems oak is often times rotten in the middle......Not that one! What kind of oak is it?

tfdchief said:
Dairyman said:
Wow, that thing is solid all the way through. Gonna be a lot of wood from that baby. Seems oak is often times rotten in the middle......Not that one! What kind of oak is it?

I'm pretty sure its a black oak. I was shocked to see it solid, normally when I see one over 30 inches its going down hill.

Dairyman said:
tfdchief said:
Dairyman said:

I'm pretty sure its a black oak. I was shocked to see it solid, normally when I see one over 30 inches its going down hill.
That sure has been my experience. The bark looks like it could be black oak. Black and Red are hard to tell apart. You just about have to have the live tree, with branches, leaves, acorns, and buds to tell the difference. Doesn't really matter, just curious. All oak is good stuff, but around here, I prefer White Oak.

great work d'man! now the REAL work begins. take it slow and easy and be safe. art

My uncle-inlaw came over and helped yesterday. We cut/split 2 pickup loads.....many more to go!

Attachments

• 2012-01-11_17-01-45_477-1.jpg
    2012-01-11_17-01-45_477-1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 162
  • 2012-01-11_17-01-39_249-1.jpg
    2012-01-11_17-01-39_249-1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 149
  • 2012-01-11_17-09-44_501-1.jpg
    2012-01-11_17-09-44_501-1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 168
Great score! That baby will put out some serious BTU's for a long time........you took some good advice and did the big end first, those rootballs can kill ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.