Big trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hubby was chuckling with this photo ... Doug Fir in Hackleman Old Growth Grove, OR. He swears he's not a tree hugger, he was just measuring how big a bar he would need ;lol We were both impressed with the size of some of those trees!

He's 6'1" to give you a bit of scale...

Attachments

• Frank's Grad Trip Hackleman Old Growth Grove OR.JPG
    Frank's Grad Trip Hackleman Old Growth Grove OR.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 234
We went for some hiking in the Olympics a couple days ago. This monster cedar is alive and well just about 100ft from our campsite. It's a very old soul.
IMAG2083web.jpg
This ancient red cedar toppled years ago. It was well over 1000 years old and the ranger said that it could be around, slowly decaying and providing nutrients for another 1000 yrs. It's 14ft. in diameter.
IMG_2386web.jpg

If anyone goes to see the redwoods in northern Cali/southern Oregon, consider staying at the Curly Redwood Lodge. One hotel made from one tree. I forget the value I came up with, but I spent some time guesstimating the value of the lumber in the lodge. It was astronomical

We are very fortunate to have the Olympic National Park in our backyard. This is a large, ancient, living ecosystem. Through the rangers we learned some interesting facts:

95% of Olympic National Park is designated wilderness, including 60 miles of coastline -- the longest wilderness coast in the lower 48 states.

Olympic is home to many record-breaking trees -- among them are two Douglas firs that tower 20 stories above the forest floor.

Parts of Olympic's rain forest gets 12 to 14 feet of rain every year.

The temperate rain forest of Olympic National Forest has more living biomass than any other place on earth, more than 500 tons per acre.

266 glaciers necklace the peaks of the Olympic mountains.

Read more: http://www.gorp.com/parks-guide/travel-ta-olympic-national-park-sidwcmdev_067789.html#ixzz4Gl9kc2fx

i doubt there's 266 glaciers in the OLYs anymore. maybe when they did the survey in the 50's. even then... i know they like to call "permanent snowfields" glaciers from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.