biggest/longest burning 6" flue stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well, i just pulled the trigger on the overstockstoves.com deal. thanks for the heads up, browning! seems like a pretty good deal. but, dang... blower not included? sheesh. i'm gonna replace my itty bitty stove in the basement and throw this bad boy down there. what's everyone's opinions on the blower issue? i can't imagine it would work any better then a box fan blowing on the stove toward the door and upstairs.

Congratulations. Be sure to have some help on hand to move that big stove, it's heavy. The stove blower is often the most effective because it directs an airflow over the hottest part of the stove and projects it directly into the room. That's why it is also useful at cooling down the stove. I would try the stove without the blower at first. It may convect fine and that's what you want in this circumstance.

Given this is going to be an attempt to heat the house out of the basement, I think there is a better way to use the box fan. You will get good results by placing it at the top of the basement stairs, pointing down the stairs (if you have a table fan it will be easier to do this). You want to blow the cooler upstairs air, down into the basement. Low speed on the fan will be fine. The cool air will be replaced by a strong convective flow of warm air from the basement at the top of the door opening. You'll be able to feel the difference.

my other concern is keeping the cellar door open. i really don't want my pets down there... it ain't pretty and there's lots of dangerous things down there.

Is the staircase open or closed off? If closed, the turns in the staircase are not going to help. They'll increase the challenge for heating the upstairs. You'll have to experiment. It may work better by locating the fan on the upper landing, but the principal is the same.

there is a door at the top of the stairs and another door at the bottom. i have to keep both closed because the cat's litter box is on the landing in the stairwell.

Maybe time to change location. Or is the stove for heating the basement only?

besides, my house is only 500 square feet up stairs. that thing would kill me. hahaha.

So it is just for the basement then, correct? If so, this is all a moot point. Sorry for the tangent.

How does this thing compare to the us stove magnolia? Found one closed out for $599.

lethal dose said:
there is a door at the top of the stairs and another door at the bottom. i have to keep both closed because the cat's litter box is on the landing in the stairwell.

How does the cat get to it's litterbox if the doors are closed?

It lives in perpetual doom in the stairwell.

Small cat door cutout. Was thinking maybe I could put a vent above the stove and another one at the opposite end of the house. The hot air from the stove would rise through the vent above it into the bedroom, get pulled to the kitchen/livingroom (same room) via a top door mounted frame fan, then get pulled down through the vent in the floor at the other side of the kitchen, and then it would return to the stove room via a box fan on the floor in the doorway pointed at the stove. Whew... a little long winded. Anyone pick up what I'm puttin' down?

BeGreen said:
So it is just for the basement then, correct? If so, this is all a moot point. Sorry for the tangent.
No tangent. It will be placed in my ugly basement because I am not allowed to put it upstairs and even if I was, I think the englander would roast me our of my 500 sq ft living area. My house is about 1000 square feet total including my unfinished basement and my upstairs. Upstairs is 2 rooms basement is 2 rooms. All equal size. Very simple. The goal is to heat it all.

lethal dose said:
Small cat door cutout. Was thinking maybe I could put a vent above the stove and another one at the opposite end of the house. The hot air from the stove would rise through the vent above it into the bedroom, get pulled to the kitchen/livingroom (same room) via a top door mounted frame fan, then get pulled down through the vent in the floor at the other side of the kitchen, and then it would return to the stove room via a box fan on the floor in the doorway pointed at the stove. Whew... a little long winded. Anyone pick up what I'm puttin' down?

In theory it might work, but delivering the full heat of the stove into the bedroom is not ideal. If it was the opposite (deliver to the kitchen, return from bedroom) it would be more ideal. Maybe vent to the hallway outside of the bedroom?

To add, the location in the cellar is the best place for it only because otherwise, I'd have to go through my garage and flash the roof. I'm hoping the absence of insulation in the basement will help tame it a little. Should I just heat the basement and not cut vents in the floor and allow the heat to warm the floors and rise? Who knows, soon, we shall see.

Where's the bathroom? That's always nice to be warm.

It's right off the bedroom. 6x9 including tub. My friend's trailer is much larger then my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.