Biggest score of my life.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
A few threads down under people want to give me wood,I went and checked my neighbors woodlot out,he lives less than a quarter mile away on a magnificent estate.The lot that the power company went through is actually closer to 5 acres than my initial guess of 1.Well was I in for a surprise a absolute CHIT load of cherry,ash,white oak,black birch black locust,hard maple,sycamore it was mind boggling and my friend gave me an exclusive plus the use of his Suzuki Eiger 400 he said take all you want.My guess is by the time I'm finished working it I'll be 10 years out and won't have taken all that's there. Today I hauled 3 truckloads shown below check out the locust most debarked in 100% fine shape this is too much.

Attachments

• score 001.jpg
    score 001.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 659
  • score 002.jpg
    score 002.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 679
  • score 003.jpg
    score 003.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 672
  • score 004.jpg
    score 004.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 675
That's the mother load right there...congrats.

That's the way I like my Locust. Bark already gone and hard as rock. (or should say hard as a chunk of coal) and burns almost the same. Sounds like you are into a good thing there Longarm. You know you will be out there admiring the pile as it grows.

ohlongarm said:
my friend gave me an exclusive plus the use of his Suzuki Eiger 400 he said take all you want.My guess is by the time I'm finished working it I'll be 10 years out and won't have taken all that's there.
That's great! Sounds like, with a little work now, you'll be set for quite a while. My plan is to get us seven or more years out, and three in-laws three years out, so I'll have my foot on the gas for a while yet.
Nice that you have the quad to use; Makes it so much easier and quicker. Save those brown BL rounds out separate; They are, or are almost, dry enough to burn. You might find some dead ones that were on the ground previously, and those will be in good shape and ready to go as well.

Nice score. looks dry already.

That is one nice score longarm!
I recently got access to a scround similat to that.
Power company was cutting at a local cemetery. I was able to get permision to grab whatever was down.
I figure Ill pull about 5 full cords out by the time I'm done.
Like you, this is the biggest score for me so far as well. :coolgrin:

chuck

While cutting another load today my friends business partner who lives next to him asked me if I wanted some downed trees.I said sure where are they he walked me to an easily accessed part of his property,and low and behold he points out about 6 trees all big locust and cherrys all fresh as can be prime for cuttin,anyways I'll take a picture of these trees and post them,I just don't know if I'll have enough room for all this ,but the locust off the ground will probably outlive me.At springs end I'll probably have 10 years wood on hand,a friend I work with used to own a tree service business, and he can handle a saw.He burns wood so we'll hit it together he can cut,I'll load and we'll both split we figure when we have a dozen cords each we'll quit. He still has 15 cords on hand from our last venture,this is madness.Then as we walked back to his house he shows me a stack of fresh cut poplar about 3 cords and another of fresh cut oak,he wants that taken also as it detracts from his view of his 15 acre lake. Anyway no rest for a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.