Biggest Tree in the World

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teutonicking

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
Maryland
What's even more amazing to me is that these trees were living during the time of Christ.........they are global treasures that should be admired and enjoyed for generations to come.

I'm with you, Applesister.......of only one thing I would go to California for, it'd be these trees..........

That's awesome! The largest tree in our state isn't too far from me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinchot_Sycamore

It's got nothing on General Sherman though! I know I shouldn't ask this out loud, but let me go ahead and share what we're all wondering:
"How many cords of wood do you think the General contains?!?" :eek:

Not sure--my charts only go up to about 30" diameter, and this tree is 948" across! If it were a solid cylinder all the way up (which its obviously not) I calcluated about 10,500 cords (over 1.3 million cubic feet of wood). But it tapers as it gets taller, so its way less than that. Maybe divide it by a factor of 5 or 6 to account for this?--so my guess would be about 2,000 cords. But either way, its more than enough to get you "Wood Pile Psycho" status in the Firewood Hoarders' Club. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ScotO and BillLion
Not sure--my charts only go up to about 30" diameter, and this tree is 948" across! If it were a solid cylinder all the way up (which its obviously not) I calcluated about 10,500 cords (over 1.3 million cubic feet of wood). But it tapers as it gets taller, so its way less than that. Maybe divide it by a factor of 5 or 6 to account for this?--so my guess would be about 2,000 cords. But either way, its more than enough to get you "Wood Pile Psycho" status in the Firewood Hoarders' Club. :)

Awesome calculations...that's a LOT of wood!!!

I thought this was going to be a Craigslist advert.

I came across this earlier today. I thought some folks may find it of interest:

The tree called "General Sherman" is not only the biggest giant sequoia, but it is also the biggest tree in the world. It is 83.8 m (274.9 feet) tall, at breast height is 24,10 m (79 feet) (near the ground it is 31,3 m or 102,6 feet).

http://www.monumentaltrees.com/en/trees/giantsequoia/biggest_tree_in_the_world/

I posted something about this tree last summer. It has enough firewood in it to supply a person with 3 cords annually for something like 90 years. I saw these trees at Sequoia Nat'l Park.

Reactions: BillLion
That's awesome! The largest tree in our state isn't too far from me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinchot_Sycamore

It's got nothing on General Sherman though! I know I shouldn't ask this out loud, but let me go ahead and share what we're all wondering:
"How many cords of wood do you think the General contains?!?" :eek:
"The official number mentioned on the info panel near the tree is 52500 cubic feet" 410.2 cords ( if my math is on,)

Reactions: BillLion
I came across this earlier today. I thought some folks may find it of interest:

The tree called "General Sherman" is not only the biggest giant sequoia, but it is also the biggest tree in the world. It is 83.8 m (274.9 feet) tall, at breast height is 24,10 m (79 feet) (near the ground it is 31,3 m or 102,6 feet).

http://www.monumentaltrees.com/en/trees/giantsequoia/biggest_tree_in_the_world/

If that's pine, I don't want it... ;hm

Holy moly, unless that branch fell on a miniature golf course, that branch is its own tree!

What's even more amazing to me is that these trees were living during the time of Christ.........they are global treasures that should be admired and enjoyed for generations to come.

I'm with you, Applesister.......of only one thing I would go to California for, it'd be these trees..........

I'm glad its in the Pine family. 400 cords will only have to season for a year or two.!!!

Reactions: ScotO
It would be nice to have that much wood for sure.

I think you'd have to be very careful with wood storage since it's going to take you and your heirs well over 75 years to burn through it. Rot and bugs may be a concern.

Interesting aside: The giant sequoias were saved from devastation by lumbering operations due to their massive size. Once felled and bucked, the only practical way they could be reduce in size was by blasting. Losses exceed 90% of the wood. It simply wasn't worth it.;lol

Interesting aside: The giant sequoias were saved from devastation by lumbering operations due to their massive size. Once felled and bucked, the only practical way they could be reduce in size was by blasting. Losses exceed 90% of the wood. It simply wasn't worth it.;lol

It would be a shame to cut something that big

We took a trip out there about 3 years ago. No matter what I did I couldn't take a picture that did these trees justice. There was limb laying in the back that was as big as most trees around here.

P1000757-copy.jpg

Where to start, with my 18" Echo saw, and 22 ton splitter?

We have a few big ones around here too. That is my wife by the tree then laying on the stump.

Cottonwood-Judy.JPG Cottonwood-Judy-2.JPG

The redwoods aren't quite as big around but very tall. Again this is my wife in the pictures. I'll say that standing by these trees really makes you feel small.

Judy by log-3.JPG Judy can't see the top 300 ft tall.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.