BioBricks vs. Oil Indifference Point

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FiremanBob

Nov 18, 2007
RI
Local dealer quoted $290 delivered for a ton of biobricks vs. $3.30/gal for oil. Research on web indicates heat value of wood is 6,400 BTU/lb and oil is 130,500 BTU/gal, for an equivalence of 1 ton wood = 98 gal oil. At these prices, that wood cost $290 vs. $322 for the oil, a savings of only 10%. I don't know if the ratios allow for the difference in efficiency between the wood stove and the furnace, but if not the furnace efficiency (80%+) should trump the decades-old Russo stove (efficiency unknown, probably less than 70%). There is a small advantage for the wood in that I'm only heating one room fully with three adjoining others allowed to be 5 deg F colder instead of heating all four rooms to the same temp.

Experts: would you buy the bricks or furlough the stove until a cheaper source of wood is found?

Heat value for wood varies widely depending on the species. Premium species like white oak, black locust, etc. have higher heat value. BioBricks are a known 8,500 btus/lb.

But overall, your assumptions are close to correct. A couple of variables that skew the mix. Many heating systems (especially older ducted systems) lose a lot of heat due to duct losses. That can bring the real efficiency down to 50 or even 40%. It's typical for older heating systems to be oversized to accommodate these losses. That was considered "ok" when fuel was cheap, but now people are (finally) starting to notice. Hot water systems generally have lower losses than forced air systems.

A stove being in the area that is to be heated, gains an advantage here because the heat is where you want and feel it. You will get better heat efficiency in a more modern stove.

Heat value of biobricks or pellets are higher than 6500 due to low moisture content. The 6500 refers to standard firewood, adjusted for moisture.

Oil also has slightly more - 135-138K, I think....

Burned in an old stove, those biobricks are probably more expensive than oil.

Personally, I would compromise somewhere in between - burn the stove only for recreation and for those REALLY cold times- when you also happen to be home to gain the nice benefit of a fire. From a strictly $$$ viewpoint, one fuel usually ends up costing as much as another once everything is figured in...the exception being free firewood or soft coal (if you can stand to burn the stuff!)

Also, the big strength of a stove is that it allows you to 'zone' your heat.

If you like / don't mind cold bedrooms, then you can save a fair bit by running a stove even if the fuel is the same cost.

FOr instance, I run a pellet stove downstairs, with some supplement from my oil furnace (about 200-300 gallons over the year). my downstairs temp is 66, upstairs is 60.

If I spent the same amount on 100% oil at $2.65 (lock in price for this year), my whole house would be around 62 (based on my oil usage after Hurricane Katrina, when we turned the thermostat WAY down (before we bought our pellet stove))

Price for bio bricks and oil as described similar.

Look on Oil Barron's face when oil sales slide because everyone gets smart and goes to US produced alternative fuels: PRICELESS.....

swestall said:
Look on Oil Barron's face when oil sales slide because everyone gets smart and goes to US produced alternative fuels: PRICELESS.....

Are you dissing the Prez and VP of our great country?

Remember "Conservation may be a personal virtue, but not a energy plan" (Cheney)

OK, if BB are 8,500 and fuel oil is 138,000, the ratio is 16.24 lbs/gal and one ton BB = 123.2 gal oil, $290 vs. $406, only 71% of the cost of oil, and over $100 in my pocket for the approx. 6 weeks the ton should last.

Combined with the efficiency of the stove's narrower zone, I'm still likely to be ahead of the game with the stove. At least, it'll be worth trying for a month to experiment.

That's the spirit, collect some empirical evidence. I'm looking forward to your report. Bob.

What would everybody burn if BB where the same price as cord wood? What is better if the BB and the cord wood was free??

Happy New Year.

Webmaster said:
swestall said:

Are you dissing the Prez and VP of our great country?

Remember "Conservation may be a personal virtue, but not a energy plan" (Cheney)

Bush is hardly a baron, I'd even class the VP as in the same slot. They are more like figure heads. The Real Barons are not wasting their time filling in a government slot (job).

I never voted for Bush, but I do find the effect he has on my former party members as amusing.

Jerry

No, not dissing them; one could hardly do a better job at creating an image for them than they have done for themselves.
I think we woodburners are just a lot of folks that want some independence, to keep our costs down and to enjoy a home heating experience that is also somewhat of a hobby at the same time.
As for Perez and Cheeney; they will be done in due time and then who will listen?
Hopefully, the world will evolve in a positive way in 08'.
As for Bio Bricks, I'm OK with them. And, I like those sawdust logs that have no adhesives in them too! But, I like the smell of the wood fire. I'm comitted to get some of the alternative items for next season so we have backup for my wife when I'm away and for me when the snow is too deep to get the wood in for a few days. The cost is OK, wood, bio bricks, logs, pellets all a better deal than oil at this point: the point is we aren't filling the tank with oil and our houses are warmer than most who do.

Status
Not open for further replies.