bird screen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Charles2

Feeling the Heat
Jun 22, 2014
GA
Found a small dead bird in my wood stove a couple days ago, I was surprised no one heard it, because it really tore up the window gasket trying to get out. Anyway, I went up on the roof this morning to see how it got in. It appeared that the spark arrestor had been chewed or deteriorated just enough at the edge to allow a small bird thru.

My questions are:

1. Should I expect to replace my spark arrestor every few years, or does someone sell one that will last indefinitely?
2. Does anyone sell one that fits better? I noticed that if the screen had been about an inch wider, it would have filled the space better. I believe my existing one is a SuperVent spark arrestor JSC6SPAR.
3. Would it make more sense to replace the standard rain cap with a deluxe rain cap (JSC6DRC) that doesn't need a spark arrestor?

If the chimney has been cleaned bottom up with a rotary brush then maybe that caught the edge of the screen. I'd mend or replace the screen.

Reactions: Charles2
If the chimney has been cleaned bottom up with a rotary brush then maybe that caught the edge of the screen. I'd mend or replace the screen.
Thanks for your reply. I do clean it bottom up with a SootEater, but I can't imagine how that could have caused the screen deterioration that I observed. The screen isn't merely bent - part of the edge is missing. Regardless, is there a stronger or wider screen that I could buy? I think about 5.5 inches wide would be ideal.

1. Should I expect to replace my spark arrestor every few years, or does someone sell one that will last indefinitely?
2. Does anyone sell one that fits better? I noticed that if the screen had been about an inch wider, it would have filled the space better. I believe my existing one is a SuperVent spark arrestor JSC6SPAR.
3. Would it make more sense to replace the standard rain cap with a deluxe rain cap (JSC6DRC) that doesn't need a spark arrestor?
I made the two on my chimneys out of a cylinder of 5/8" or 3/4" expanded metal, and it was heavy gauge 304 stainless, maybe even 22 gauge. The house is nearing 300 years old, and I'd expect these screens to last damn near that long, again.

I simply cut a swath with a width equal to the space between my chimney crown and cap, and length an inch longer than pi*diameter, rolled it and stitched the ends together with a length of AWG-12 solid copper ground wire. They've been up there for 10+ years, and take a beating from the sooteater every year, with no apparent issue.

1/2” hardware cloth is 19 gauge, but the holes could close if you’re burning dirty. It’ll survive a sooteater encounter.

I went back and found my 2012 receipt in email. Here's what I used:

304 Stainless Steel Expanded Panel, Flat, 12" x 12" x 0.051", 1.81" Wide X0.75" Long Opening
McMaster-Carr item 9303T43

I probably used aviation snips to cut it, essentially compound-action tin snips.

edit: On further investigation, I can see I only bought a 12" x 12" square from McMaster-Carr, to evaluate. But then when it was time to buy the sheet size required for this job, I found it on Amazon for a much lower price. Unfortunately, the item number I used on Amazon is now listed as No Longer Available. Shop around!

Last edited:
I simply cut a swath with a width equal to the space between my chimney crown and cap, and length an inch longer than pi*diameter, rolled it and stitched the ends together with a length of AWG-12 solid copper ground wire.
Do you worry about corrosion of the dissimilar metals in contact over time?

Do you worry about corrosion of the dissimilar metals in contact over time?
Someday, maybe, but not likely in my lifetime. Copper and stainless are both pretty inert.

Yes, stainless wire would have been better.

Yes, stainless wire would have been better.
Well, I guess I’d better check them then. I made one of these for each stove more than ten years ago, so I’m not even promising my memory is correct on the wire being copper. I know each has a stainless hose clamp around the bottom, holding it to the liner adapter on one chimney, and the OD of the clay tile on the other.