Birds in Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joeb9999

Apr 17, 2008
Northwest Indiana
I have purchased and installed a Bis Ultima. My brother has a Pacific, and we both have 6" insulated pipe for our chimneys. Even with his cap on, my brother has had issues with birds getting stuck in his chimney. I am going to button my cap up in the next couple of days and hope to figure out a way to avoid this. My dealer gave me some chicken-wire like stuff, but we think that it would wear away over time. Any suggestions?

Have you tried to find 1/2" or 1" stainless wire mesh? That would be my choice.

I have had birds in my 6" chimney, also - mostly Verios. It doesn't happen more than once every couple years, so I don't worry about it too much. The last time, I got a bag, unscrewed the connector pipe, and slipped it up, putting the bag under it. The bird fell in and I let it loose outside.

1/2" hardware cloth should do the trick nicely.

As for all critters--think I may have covered this once before. but most places get some rain in July or August. I light it up at least once in each of those months,seems simple enough. just do it on a rainy day. if it is too hot? open the windows if they are not already open and let the smoke take care of that problem.

I lit a fire earlier this spring and had a bluebird pop out of the chimney and get bbq'd. Pretty nasty. I fished two more dead ones out of the chimney. After I stopped burning, I had bluebirds showing up in the stove pretty regularly. It got to be a routine for a few weeks to get up in the morning, let the bird out of the stove, shoo it out of the house, then get ready for work. I thought they would eventually give up, but I gave up first and ended up installing one of these:
http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimn...ab7996d7bb389545.e3eTaxeKbh0Te34Pa38Ta38Ta3f0
I will probably have to put a screen over the 4" plumbing vent pipe as well.

I'd love to have some bluebirds around. How about putting up some nesting boxes for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.