BIS Ultima - cracked glass - dare use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

86turbodsl

Hearth Supporter
Mar 25, 2008
Michigan
Ive got a BIS ultima that has a cracked door glass. Do I dare run it with the crack, or should I definitely not? It's getting cold in here.
Down to 60 now. Secondly, does anyone have good recommendations for high temp glass suppliers?

If it's your main heat source, I'd say go ahead & use it - as long as it's monitored often...
I wouldn't burn it overnite...
If you can locate a hearth shop & get a Spark-Guard style screen, &
put addtional hearth protection on the floor, it would
probably make it a LITTLE safer to use...
Google for Pyroceram & once you find a vendor, see who's close to your location...
We get ours from a place in Ohio, I think it's called Fire Glass, Inc., but
I could be wrong...
You're gonna pay, tho, pyroceram is about a buck a square inch...

Yeah, it's not my primary source. I have a heat pump that gets me to 58-60 and the fireplace tops it off.
I took the glass out and made a template. Guess I start calling around....

Thanks for the advice.

EDIT: Found a place out in Washington called ONE DAY GLASS that carries pyroceram for half price. They had
a pc of glass for $125 and the place in ohio was over $300.

^someone else just got a replacement through oneida glass for 48...the link is around here.

For others with this same cracked glass problem go ahead and burn with it...

...our first stove was a Franklin with about 8 small isinglass window. After awhile they'd crack or get a hole in them but the stove would burn fine and draw the smoke up and away. Truthfully I don't know what would happen if you ever chocked down the fire for a long burn type of thing though.

http://www.onedayglass.com/wood_stove_glass.php

^try this

Whoops sorry...but I'm sure someone just got a glass for 48...and they both 2.

Well the poster was wendell...I was just looking and couldn't find the post....darn it.

Try and PM him if you can find him.

I think I found it. Someone was asking for replacement glass for an Olympic stove, and wendell said check one day glass, the next poster said the dealer had one for $45. That's probably it.

OK then that could be it...sorry to get your hopes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.