Bit of smoke coming out of air inlet on startup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burnt03

Feeling the Heat
Oct 30, 2011
Peachland, BC, Canada
Let the stove go totally cold yesterday, tried a startup this morning and got a bit of smoke coming out of the air inlet at first. Cleared up after a few seconds.

Last time I swept chimney was Mar 10, haven't been burning full time since then.

41 outside, 59 in basement where stove is. Did I just have a slug of cold air making it's way down the chimney?

Sounds like it may have been. You may have slightly negative pressure in the basement. Did anyone have an exhaust fan running at the time? Are you getting a lot of wind from this new system coming through?

No exhaust fan or wind. Forgot to mention I have an oversized masonry chimney, that can negatively affect the draft at startup too right?

Definitely, especially if there is no insulated, stainless liner in it. What's the tile size in the chimney?

Could be worse. How tall is the chimney and how frequently are you needing to clean it? Also, is there a cleanout door at the base of the chimney? If yes, is it gasketed for a tight seal?

It's around 21' tall, cleanout door at bottom outside is gasketed and have a chunk of roxul stuffed inside too (as per the sweep's advice).

First year burning so I've been cleaning once a month. Gotten as much as a ice bucket (dec - jan) and as little as a 1/4 ice cream bucket (feb-mar).

Warming up the chimney would help a lot. It could be surrounded with an insulated chase or maybe a 5.5" liner dropped down it.

I only start cold a couple times a year. And when I do (6" Class A running 18 ft up the side of house) I often get a little smoke out the primary.

I added an OAK this year and cured that problem. It was less than $40 and works like a charm :)

Status
Not open for further replies.