Bit the bullet, on a 5700 model .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charly

Bought a Quad 5700 model, the other day. Got the whole deal with a blower for $2380. They were giving of 30% off list price. Hope I'll be happy with my purchase.

Come on, do your breakin fires in the middle of August! :coolgrin:

Pagey said:
Come on, do your breakin fires in the middle of August! :coolgrin:

On the driveway.

Gawd, just thinking about a butt-ugly steel plate stove with a 3.44 ft³ firebox gets my body to quiverin'. I hope you need a lot of heat, because that's what that beast is gonna deliver. Very nice, indeed. Rick

It'll be heating a 2500 sq ft farmhouse. House was all refurbished, new windows, insulation, etc., but I'd rather be putting in less wood than chasing the firebox. Be our first winter in this place. People before said they used 500 gallons of oil. Even offered us to contact their oil guy, to confirmed what they used. Time will tell if the wore sweaters all winter. :bug:

xclimber,
Good choice !
Heading into my third year with mine. No regrets.
Step top, pedistal, blower, gold trimmed door and good overnite burns.
Glass wash stays pretty good but we're 24/7 so we do need to clean it from time to time.
OAK worked out well for me but the kit from the stove guy was just about useless.
Gave me a good balance between intake & exhaust. Last stove backed up on me regularly.
Get it in the center of that 2500 if you can, but it'll do fine either way.
Enjoy
rn

Rustynut,
It's good to hear you like your stove. I have four year old oak tops, up in a field, no bark. Should be good to go, sure the stove will burn well with that. I'll keep ya posted. ;-)

Who is running the sale?

New to only the house or new to Scary County and the house? Is the house located on the top of a hill/mtn or in a valley? 500 gallons to heat the entire house seems a bit low. Maybe they only heated a few rooms or a portion of the house?

If you are new to the area I hope you have a real good way to remove snow. Last winter I was snowshoeing through 8 foot drifts on a friends farm in Cobleskill.

Matt

No, lived in East Berne,NY for 8 years. Yup, had 55 inches of snow last winter in three days. The kubota tractor and five foot snow blower got a work out. Woodburning Warehouse , in Watervilet, NY , are the people that Im bought from. Bought a Country stove from them 15 years ago. Great people ,down to earth. Nancy the owner is 100 %. Great person. Remembered my wife , a year later walking in the place, that she was there on a saturday with a bad toothache. She has a great mind. Good people. Nope, been here all my life, in the Northeast. Yup, about 15 minutes from Cobelskill. Check out Rubbin Butts for some great barbacue. Great people too. Big portions for the money !

Just moved to the farm here form Berne. 10 minutes from where I lived before. Up on top of the valley. Went from 10 - 96 acres. Liking every bit of it. 66 acres of woods and 30 acres of hay fields. I can fly my paramotor and also supply the wood for my stove. Can't complain.

xclimber said:
I can fly my paramotor and also supply the wood for my stove.

Be safe doing both please.

Thanks, Brother Bart. Took lessons to paramotor, fly when the weather is good, not questionable. You don't get a second chance. Climbed , trimmed the power lines for a year, and worked with different tree companies for about 10 years. Wear my chaps, helmet, hearing protection, safety glasses, etc. Never a saw cut to myself. I always respect what I do. Accidents happen when your tired or you let your guard down. Thanks for thinking of me, to stay safe. Your life can be changed in a second, and I wish all good days for anyone who is at risk, in what they do, weither it's their job or their hobby. Accidents can be a terrible thing for family as well as friends. Tomorrow is always another day.

Sounds like you have a real nice place xclimber...hope you enjoy the new stove. We have the 4300 that does an adequate job running WOT but our next stove will be the 5700.

My wife always wanted an old farm house, and I always dreamed of more land. We happened to see the place , after being listed for only 3 days. We said it was meant to be. Farm we were going to buy, not as good shape, people decided not to sell, 3 days before signing papers, mean while our place already had buyers. So we found this other place the next day. Funny how things worked out. I'm 56, so I guess I'll enjoy this place while I can. No nursing home for me. Shoot me and bury me in the back 40. Save everyone some money. :lol:

^that's the way I feel too, good the hear things worked out for you. Looking forward to your report on the 5700 this winter.

I am starting to think that all of those years of felling, bucking, splitting and hauling wood into the house is what is going to put me into a nursing home.

"I used to heat my house every year without any damned electricity or oil."

"BB, you are drooling in your soup. We need to roll your chair out into the sun for a while Would you like a cookie?"

BrotherBart said:

"BB, you are drooling in your soup. We need to roll your chair out into the sun for a while Would you like a cookie?"

Just think of the nice "home" you'll be able to afford with all the money saved by heating with wood. :lol:

Thats a great big momma of stove and a quality product. I too would also like to hear about how it heats up the place. Also, post some photos of you doing that flying thing. Once my kids are teenagers I may be looking for a fun way to meet the creator early

BrotherBart said:
I am starting to think that all of those years of felling, bucking, splitting and hauling wood into the house is what is going to put me into a nursing home.

Don't forget the sponge bath by the nice foreign guy. :lol:

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
BrotherBart said:

Don't forget the sponge bath by the nice foreign guy. :lol:

Matt

You rikey?! ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.