BK 302 stove want to do a pipe reduction.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thavg

Hearth Supporter
Aug 15, 2009
Michigan, Go Blue
Have a Bk 302 with an eight inch vent out the top and I'm finding that it will be cheaper and probably a lot easier to install the chimney if it was reduced to six inch. How will this stove operate with the chimney reduce to six inch? Was thinking I could reduce it right at the top of the stove or just before I switch from stope pipe to triple wall. Also if I do run single wall stove pipe how far before the ceiling do I need to switch it to triple wall for proper clearances?

thavg said:
How will this stove operate with the chimney reduce to six inch?

Not like the MFG intended.

There are several users of the BK stoves that have done what you are suggesting. I believe that many have had acceptable results. I think that overall height would be a big player in the success/failure that follows.

How tall it the overall stack going to be?

Ghettontheball said:
Jags said:
thavg said:

There are several users of the BK stoves that have done what you are suggesting. I believe that many have had acceptable results. I think that overall height would be a big player in the success/failure that follows.

good point but if the codemaster dont like it, then what?

Then its gonna cost another hunnert bucks and a bottle of champagne. :coolsmirk:

Overall height from top of stove to the top of chimney will be about ten feet. I also have to do a slight offset to avoid a peak as well.

Jags said:
thavg said:

I think the big difference here is he's talking about an older non-cat stove (I believe), where as many using the 6" are doing so with the newer cat version of this stove. The 6" seems to work well with the cat since the flue temps are cooler with the cat and the smaller pipe helps to keep the temp up in the flue. I don't know how the older non-cat version would do with the 6", but I don't think the results would be as good if it's going to be burning big hot fires.

10' is VERY short!!! You might want to rethink this...

Wet1 said:
10' is VERY short!!! You might want to rethink this...

Very much agreed. 10' is going to be a lazy draw to begin with. Choking the pipe size down is gonna hurt it even more.

I have a ranch house with a hip roof and I'm looking to put it in a corner of my living room and in that spot there is not much attic space between ceiling and roof, it will only be four or so feet from the eave.
Eight foot ceiling and the stove is just under three feet tall so I have about five feet to the ceiling with approximately two feet through the attic space and then three more out the top of the roof totalling roughly ten feet. I could run the pipe taller, if I ran it to about five feet over the roof it would make the total chimney height around thirteen feet. If I leave the pipe at eight inch which it sounds like I should do will this chimney height be ok?

What is the pitch of your roof? How high is the ridge above where you will exit the roof? Are there any other obstructions?

I had less than 10' of 8 inch and it worked fine. However, it was a flat roof with no obstructions.

“Chimneys shall extend at least three feet above the highest point where it passes through the roof of a building, and at least two feet higher than any portion of a building within ten feet.”

The roof is a 6/12 pitch and the pipe will be coming out of the roof slightly lower than one of the peaks about six inches down from it. If I go three feet above that peak it will only give me about a ten to eleven foot chimney from the top of the stove to the top of the chimney. Should I run the chimney maybe a few feet higher and get one of those support braces? There is not a lot of elevation to the roof with it's layout. I will definately be more than ten feet out from the highest part of the roof and there aren't any real obstructions. I attached a rough sketch and I mean rough I had to do it with paint. The black lines are peaks, red line is valley and orange circle is the proposed chimney location. Thanks to everyone for all the input I really appreaciate it. I thought that getting the chimney and a good install location would be pretty simple but I am learning better of that now.

Attachments

• Layout.jpg
    Layout.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 141
If the green lines in this modified picture are less than 10 ft then your chimney should be 2 ft higher than the (highest) peak at that point, basically I guess that would be the highest peak on your shop.
Layoutgreen.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.