BK Ashford or Princess

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ashford 30.1, black, with fan kit is on order! Should see it arrive sometime next week.

Reactions: Highbeam
I've had a sirocco 30 since last year and new princess burning for just a couple days. Especially with the wood im burning now (lots of boxelder) I can already tell I'll appreciate the extra ash depth on the princess. My wife actually likes the princess looks a little better than the sirocco.

Hmm, I thought I was completely settled on a Princess, but now you have me considering the Ashford 30.1! I'll never get this settled! Let me know how you like it.

Hmm, I thought I was completely settled on a Princess, but now you have me considering the Ashford 30.1! I'll never get this settled! Let me know how you like it.

I felt the same way about the Ashford. My wife said she didn't care, and I was going back and forth. I thought I had decided on the Princess when she pulled the rug out from under me and said she wanted the pretty one (Ashford). That made my decision a little easier. :p

?..I can already tell I'll appreciate the extra ash depth on the princess.

I keep seeing this type of comment about the "extra" depth in the princess vs the 30 series boxes being some type of bonus feature. Look at it this way - considering both stove types use roughly the same size firebox, the extra 3" of ash accumulation means 3" less wood you can load. I'm just not seeing any benefit to that that would justify one over the other on anything except looks.

Congratulations on the Ashford. I had my heart set on the King but the better half said no way. At first I was a little disappointed with the no blast of heat. But the longer I use it the happier I am with it. When I go to my brothers house and it's cold his stove room is 80 degrees in order to keep the rest of the house livable, he has a plate steel stove.With the ashford our stove room only has to be at 74 and the rest of the house is comfortable. Our houses are very similar in size and age.

I keep seeing this type of comment about the "extra" depth in the princess vs the 30 series boxes being some type of bonus feature. Look at it this way - considering both stove types use roughly the same size firebox, the extra 3" of ash accumulation means 3" less wood you can load. I'm just not seeing any benefit to that that would justify one over the other on anything except looks.
The thing is when you go to reload the ashford even if you don't have 3 inches of ash in there just by moving coals around you end up with ash or coals popping out of the door with an extra 3 inches to play with on the princess you probably don't have that happen.

I felt the same way about the Ashford. My wife said she didn't care, and I was going back and forth. I thought I had decided on the Princess when she pulled the rug out from under me and said she wanted the pretty one (Ashford). That made my decision a little easier. :p
Hmm, I may have to see if I can get some wifely input. I think sometimes she defaults to being agreeable for fear of having a hand in making the wrong decision--either that, or she trusts me too much. Maybe I can pin her down and get her to admit liking one stove more than the other. Of course, I'll have to get quotes from the dealer and factor that in.

To make a fair comparison, should I compare an Ashford to a Princess with the added side shields? It seems the Ashford comes better equipped in the base model with the ash pan and all the cast cladding that allows for a reduced clearance install. That's a plus for where I'll be trying to fit the stove.

I compared the princess ultra to the Ashford with the fans, the Princess was $300 cheaper across multiple dealers.

The thing is when you go to reload the ashford even if you don't have 3 inches of ash in there just by moving coals around you end up with ash or coals popping out of the door with an extra 3 inches to play with on the princess you probably don't have that happen.

Can't say I've had that problem over the last three seasons with my Sirocco 30.

Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread, Heftiger. You've already made your decision, but I still find it interesting to compare the differences.

My wife and I can certainly agree that we don't like the looks of pedestal stoves. So, the BK Ultra/Classic were out, and it was up to the Parlor Princess to satisfy our needs. But the parlor doesn't come with side shields, it's a pricey add-on. So for the tight space I need to fit it in, that adds to the cost.

Here are some measurements for comparison. This is the combustible wall to flue center measurement, and would be equivalent to half the minimum alcove width.
Princess Parlor: 29.5"
Ashford 30.1: 25.5"
Princess w/ side shields: 23.5"
So in base form, the Ashford wins. The prices will tell the rest of the story, I'll have to find out later.

In addition, there is the back wall to stove-front dimension to consider. This is a little more convoluted, as they don't provide that measurement directly, but I think it's the best way to see how much space it's going to take up. This is the sum of the rear clearances, and the total stove depth (including fans, if applicable).
Princess Parlor: 39.75"
Ashford 30.1: 35.375"
Ashford w/ fan: 37.125"
Princess w/ fan/rear shield: 37.625"​

Right, but aren't the fans $250-300? If so, then it seems like they're pretty equivalent price-wise.

You are right. I was under the impression that the ultra included the fan, but it does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.