BK Ashford to heat 2210 square feet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Calentarse

Feeling the Heat
Feb 25, 2011
MD
No fans installed, do you feel the Ashford can heat 2210 square feet? Anyone with experience with this? I live in the mid Atlantic and most winter nights average around 40, lowest usually in low teens. Half of house is cathedral ceiling...

Short answer, no.

If the house is sealed up real tight and you arent taking wind right off saltwater on a big wall, and you get the fan kit, well, an A30 will make a heck of a dent in your heating bill, but i would be thinking of it as a supplemental heater.

With the fan kit and a box fan on the floor down the hall mine can heat 1200sqft, no cathedral ceiling, when outdoor temps are +40 dF no problem.

Double the sqft, take off the fan kit and add cathedral ceilings? No way.

Short answer, no.
I disagree! You've got that Alaskan perspective screwing you up, Poindexter. Note where he lives:

I live in the mid Atlantic and most winter nights average around 40, lowest usually in low teens.

If I close off my lowest and top floor, and just heat the 2000 sq.ft. that makes up my middle two floors on one side of the house, my Ashford can keep up. I have to push it when the temps drop into the teens, in my completely uninsulated (yes, I have ZERO insulation) stone house, but it can do the job. On the newer wing of the house, the other Ashford loafs along on one reload per 24 hours, heating about 1500 sq.ft.

It does pass through +40dF in both of my shoulder seasons.

Besides airtightness, wind exposure and as built R value, target indoor temp should be part of the puzzle.

Honestly, the best response i have thought of so far is how many BTUs worth of elec/oil/propane does it take to keep the joint "warm" now - and then find a stove rated for that btu output.

No fans, no way.

Unless mr and mrs calentarse are wanting to wear multiple sweaters...

Ashful, you also burn a lot of oil... don't forget that part. The stoves aren't heating your place by themselves.

To the original question: an Ashford 30 on full blast can heat that space, as long as you have decent insulation and it's not drafty. Dialed down to run 12+ hr burns? No way. My Ashford heats my 1300ish sq ft house by itself, but I spray foamed the entire place last year.

My friends NC30 heats his center hall colonial 2500sq ft circa 2000 build no problem, actually to good, he runs half loads during the day.

I too live in md. I have an ashford and live in a 2200 sq house w vaulted ceilings. It’s insulated well, but poorly air sealed. And i basically live in a field so cold days with wind are reeally tough. Fans help but not enough. The ashford is a poor radiant heater compared to my prior stove, a hearthstone.

Answer to your question is no in very cold wx i have to supplement.

The real question is why are you asking if you already have an ashford?

I too live in md. I have an ashford and live in a 2200 sq house w vaulted ceilings. It’s insulated well, but poorly air sealed. And i basically live in a field so cold days with wind are reeally tough. Fans help but not enough. The ashford is a poor radiant heater compared to my prior stove, a hearthstone.

Maybe he is upgrading houses? Gauging the hassles of moving a stove vs purchasing a different heater

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I sold my old rancher with my old Ashford. I could heat it no problem any night of the year with no fans. Now that I have doubled my living space, I'm wondering If it'll be able to keep up most nights. I just bought a 2017 Ashford White Stone Enamel. It gets hooked up on December 7th. I do close off two rooms upstairs, so I'm actually only heating around 1800, but half of that space is a vaulted ceiling. Thank you ALL for your input with your experience. Helps me get a feel for what to expect in a couple weeks...honestly, I'm happy to expect running the stove wide open. I don't like stoves being shut down most of their life. Not good for the stack or stove.

I’d rather run a stove at low all the time than high all the time. Bks are designed to run low and slow. Metal things tend to last longer when run cooler I would think.

I thought the 30 box would be able to heat 2200 sf of modern construction. My 1700 sf from 1963 is no problem for the princess into single digit temps. We’ve had 70 degree differential inside to out.

Actually I don't see that much difference between run the stove on the high side compare to the low side. I still can get good heat finding a setting on the low side where most of the time there are no flames going on. The key is a hot burn after reload at least for me with the Princess. I can't speak for the ashford. My ranch house is not near air seal or tight, not even with all the remodeling done over the years. It is +/- 2400SF. For me is not worth to see all that heat going up the stack when on high. I always can find like mentioned before a low side settings. when it dropped last week to 22 and 19 degrees, just with the fans on low, that did the trick. 75 degrees on one part of the house and between 67-69 the other part. 64 upstairs.

The settings of the thermostat was almost the same as always when i don't use the fans. Just a little more of wood consumption. Till now I always run the thermostat under 3 o'clock. By 2 o'clock we can say. Sometimes with fans on I can run it lower and still keeping the house at nice temp and wood consumption is almost the same. 2-3 hrs less maybe out of the same load?. My schedule still between 20 to 24 hrs.

My princess can heat my nearly 2000sq' house down to about 30 without the fans. After that I need the fans to move the heat around. My guess is the Ashford will be similar.

House was built in 80 so it's not very well insulated or built. ;lol

Actually I don't see that much difference between run the stove on the high side compare to the low side. I still can get good heat finding a setting on the low side where most of the time there are no flames going on. The key is a hot burn after reload at least for me with the Princess. I can't speak for the ashford. My ranch house is not near air seal or tight, not even with all the remodeling done over the years. It is +/- 2400SF. For me is not worth to see all that heat going up the stack when on high. I always can find like mentioned before a low side settings. when it dropped last week to 22 and 19 degrees, just with the fans on low, that did the trick. 75 degrees on one part of the house and between 67-69 the other part. 64 upstairs.

The settings of the thermostat was almost the same as always when i don't use the fans. Just a little more of wood consumption. Till now I always run the thermostat under 3 o'clock. By 2 o'clock we can say. Sometimes with fans on I can run it lower and still keeping the house at nice temp and wood consumption is almost the same. 2-3 hrs less maybe out of the same load?. My schedule still between 20 to 24 hrs.

I'm with you on that! If I need the fans I just set it high enough where my cat stays active.

Thanks everyone! Very pleased and anxious to get the natural gas turned off. Grateful to have lots of seasoned wood ready to burn. I'm hopeful I'll be able to heat the house to a comfortable temperature without the fans. I use box fans to move cold air toward the stove, and ceiling fans in rooms. As long as the house is over 67, it'll be warmer than what I keep it on gas

Thanks everyone! Very pleased and anxious to get the natural gas turned off. Grateful to have lots of seasoned wood ready to burn. I'm hopeful I'll be able to heat the house to a comfortable temperature without the fans. I use box fans to move cold air toward the stove, and ceiling fans in rooms. As long as the house is over 67, it'll be warmer than what I keep it on gas

67 inside is a pretty conservative target, unless the house has a difficult floor plan and is leaky I would expect the Ashford to carry you no problem. 40F is pretty warm IMHO, In my 1200 sq ft bungalow in Southern Ontario, I'd be doing a smaller/shorter 12-16hr nightly fire at those temps in my A30.1. Can't go continous until temps are closer to freezing. And I don't turn it up past minimum until it's in the 20's. At around 30F outside and minimum fire (24hr+ burn), I'm still at 74F inside give or take a couple degrees.

If you find the house can't be heated to a comfortable level, I would tighten up the house, rather than switch to a bigger stove.

I know we all do what we need to do to accomplish something, plus there are many wood burners here distributing the heat in many ways like you.
Bk stove are well known as convective stove and many members claimed that the fans work really good and that, is also my experience. for the cost of the fans, i think is a good thing to have and in the long run can save you an electrical bills if you are running multiple fans at the same time around the house for heat distribution.
It is just an idea.

Reactions: chance04
Ashful, you also burn a lot of oil... don't forget that part. The stoves aren't heating your place by themselves.
Well, I wouldn’t call it “a lot of oil”, but this is partly true. I should put a finer point on my past statements about this, for the purpose of this thread.

I burn supplemental oil Monday thru Friday, when I setting my stoves for 12 and 24 hour burns to match my work schedule. Basically, I run these stoves on a schedule that suits me, and let the boiler pick up the slack.

On weekends, when I’m willing to run the stoves harder and faster, they usually keep up. The exception is when temps dip way down for extended periods, such as single-digit nights and days in the teens, and then there’s just no hope the stove in the older/larger un-insulated part of the house can keep up.

But, the OP’s house is at least 200+ years newer, smaller, in a warmer climate, and most importantly... not made of un-insulated masonry. I also assume, when someone asks if a given stove can “heat” a given space, that they’re not completely ruling out supplemental heat for those rare few coldest nights of the year, but I should have also been clearer on that.

Well, I wouldn’t call it “a lot of oil”, but this is partly true. I should put a finer point on my past statements about this, for the purpose of this thread.

I burn supplemental oil Monday thru Friday, when I setting my stoves for 12 and 24 hour burns to match my work schedule. Basically, I run these stoves on a schedule that suits me, and let the boiler pick up the slack.

On weekends, when I’m willing to run the stoves harder and faster, they usually keep up. The exception is when temps dip way down for extended periods, such as single-digit nights and days in the teens, and then there’s just no hope the stove in the older/larger un-insulated part of the house can keep up.

But, the OP’s house is at least 200+ years newer, smaller, in a warmer climate, and most importantly... not made of un-insulated masonry. I also assume, when someone asks if a given stove can “heat” a given space, that they’re not completely ruling out supplemental heat for those rare few coldest nights of the year, but I should have also been clearer on that.
Well said, Ashful. You are right, I am definitely in a warmer climate. Phili is way colder than us even though you are only 2 hours north. The ocean keeps me very moderated!

Another big variable is that this house is 2 x 6 construction. I have no experience with this and don't know much about it, but I'm hoping this gives the BK a one-up.

YES, I would like to heat this place as much as possible sustainably, which means as little natural gas as possible. It's the responsible thing to do considering all our country is going through.

Fireplace Specialties in Selbyville