BK Ashford to heat 2210 square feet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I wish the Ace hardware here in Salisbury would have picked up the BK line when they did the new expansion but alas they stuck with the usual.

Fireplace specialties only had one BK on the floor when I bought my BK from them, had to buy it sight unseen. When I picked up my stove from them last year it looked like they were closing. I guess they moved if they are still selling.

Reactions: chance04
Do they have a good floor selection? I like to window shop and Bylers in Dover is tired of seeing me lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
HAHA! No. They do not. It's a pole barn with a little dusty office in it. If you want, head to McCready's in Cambridge. They have a nicer showroom and were able to work with Blaze King for me to order my first BK back in 2013, I think.

I wish the Ace hardware here in Salisbury would have picked up the BK line when they did the new expansion but alas they stuck with the usual.

Fireplace specialties only had one BK on the floor when I bought my BK from them, had to buy it sight unseen. When I picked up my stove from them last year it looked like they were closing. I guess they moved if they are still selling.
So Fireplace Supply is in Berlin and back in 2013 were able to get BKs through their distributor? Here's their website. They are alive and well. Nice showroom with lots of different stove lines. To my knowledge, they now DO NOT sell Blaze King because something was restructured in the way they can get stoves..? I didn't ask too many questions.

Fireplace Specialities recently moved from along the highway back into this pole barn right behind their old location. Here's their website.

If the stove is well located and the floorplan is open it might work out. We're heating 2000 sq ft with the T6, most of the time with the fan off. We are also in a mild climate zone and in an old farmhouse with too much glass. The stove heats the house to around 72F with temps above freezing. Your house has better construction, so if the stove is well located and the floorplan is open you may get good results in the core of the house. Outlying rooms may be a bit cooler, but if they are bedrooms, that may be a plus.

If the stove is well located and the floorplan is open it might work out. We're heating 2000 sq ft with the T6, most of the time with the fan off. We are also in a mild climate zone and in an old farmhouse with too much glass. The stove heats the house to around 72F with temps above freezing. Your house has better construction, so if the stove is well located and the floorplan is open you may get good results in the core of the house. Outlying rooms may be a bit cooler, but if they are bedrooms, that may be a plus.
I hope so! It is well located IMO. We actually put it in the breakfast area which is in the back center of the house, centrally located. It is NOT in the cathedral ceiling (living room) side of the home as one would normally do. I'm hoping this odd location helps more evenly distribute the heat. I just can't wait to see how it does, and as long as I can circulate the warmth I hope it'll be sufficient.

HAHA! No. They do not. It's a pole barn with a little dusty office in it. If you want, head to McCready's in Cambridge. They have a nicer showroom and were able to work with Blaze King for me to order my first BK back in 2013, I think.
McCready was able to order a BK? No way! At a decent price?

I hope so! It is well located IMO. We actually put it in the breakfast area which is in the back center of the house, centrally located. It is NOT in the cathedral ceiling (living room) side of the home as one would normally do. I'm hoping this odd location helps more evenly distribute the heat. I just can't wait to see how it does, and as long as I can circulate the warmth I hope it'll be sufficient.
You'll probably be running the stove on a higher thermostat setting and will need to leave ceiling fans running in the cathedral ceiling areas. Try running them in reverse in the winter to eliminate drafty chills.

McCready was able to order a BK? No way! At a decent price?

Yes. @BKVP worked with the owner and helped facilitate a sale for me since I had no other viable option at that time. Yes, I felt like the price was in line with what is expected for the Cadillac of wood stoves ;)

Reactions: chance04
You'll probably be running the stove on a higher thermostat setting and will need to leave ceiling fans running in the cathedral ceiling areas. Try running them in reverse in the winter to eliminate drafty chills.
Already got it on winter mode and am ready and waiting to run it a bit on high. Someone said earlier in the thread running it on high sends a lot of heat up the flue but I thought that was a big BK benefit...? The flue temps stay very close to the same from high to low tstat settings...?

The Ashford is pretty efficient so I'd expect the flue temps to be below the stove top temp, but really that's a question for Ashford owners in the BK thread.

How did your previous Ashford perform?

Already got it on winter mode and am ready and waiting to run it a bit on high. Someone said earlier in the thread running it on high sends a lot of heat up the flue but I thought that was a big BK benefit...? The flue temps stay very close to the same from high to low tstat settings...?

Nope. The flue temp goes way up when you run these things at high output. They start acting like noncats. The highest efficiency occurs at the low burn.

Stove top temps are pretty meaningless on a good cat stove. But at high output my flue temps bump up to 800.

Nope. The flue temp goes way up when you run these things at high output. They start acting like noncats. The highest efficiency occurs at the low burn.

Stove top temps are pretty meaningless on a good cat stove. But at high output my flue temps bump up to 800.
Oh wow! 800 huh?! I had an Ashford in the old rancher and my external on double wall was around 300-350 at the hottest, if I recall correctly, at 18" above the stovetop. Normally, I think they'd run around 175 or so...but again, without a lot of digging in threads, I don't recall.

I agree that the temps will rise quite a bit, only makes sense.

Good to know. At high output (700+ on stovetop) our flue temp (probe) is around 600F.

Yikes. I should be clear that I measure flue temps above my bk’s double wall flue with a probe meter.

My experience is the same as Highbeam. On high the flue temp can get at 800 and more before the tstat start closing down. But if you still burning on high the probe stays around the 800 mark. At that point efficiency is not there no more. I can find a setting on the thermostat where the stove top probe is around 600 to 650 and the flue probe is around 400 for hrs. High burn just give you more intense heat thru the door glass and also the wood is gone quicker. The trick is the fans blowing over the top extracting more heat from the stove plus distributing that heat, when keeping efficiency. I do run the stove more without the fans but they are controlled by a wall tstat. That let me keep the same setting at the stove thermostat and the fan takes care the few degrees drop bringing everything back again, at the same time the stove tstat do its thing and the stove temp goes up. Letting me keep the same setting 90% of the time.

I guess that really shows that if you run on high the fans are likely a must. I suspect you can get more heat into the room at lower flue temps (and hence higher efficiency) with the fans. But I bet on high even with the fans, you may still have high temps, and even more heat in the room. Since the fans will pull heat out allowing the air intake to open even more.

I guess that really shows that if you run on high the fans are likely a must.

i would have to say that this goes for any convective designed stove. i know all stoves are both convective and radiant, but the cast over steel design of the ashford just lends itself to being much more convective than radiant.