BK Chinook install. Thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
Greg Bell

ESTIMATE
Job No.: 17054

Date: 7/18/2022
Exterior/Interior: $12,500.00 - $15,000.00
Set up 20’ of scaffolding to access work area safely
Install floor protection covering the work area
Install new noncombustible material to wall surrounding new wood burning stove (stone/tile)
Install a new Blaze King Chinook 30 wood burning free standing stove
Includes - satin bypass handle / satin door handle / cast iron convection air grille
Install new 6” DuraBlack double wall connector pipe from the existing wood burning stove to the wall
Includes - wall pass through / finishing collar
Install new 6” DuraTech stainless double wall venting system
Includes - termination cap / T support bracket / T clean out / finishing collar / roof support brackets / elbows
Work site will be cleaned when finished

Last edited:
Installing the brick/tile is running your price up. What sort of clearances do you expect to have, and what are the clearances required by the manual for you stove?

Reactions: Soundchasm
Yeah doing a surround could easily be $5000 and really isn't needed. If you want to cut costs that's where to start. But there is no way for us to know if it's reasonable without some sort of break down

How tall is the chimney going to be?

I work weekends and it has been crazy. Apologies to all.

I will do my best to answer.

How tall is the chimney going to be?
It's a two story house with a walkout basement and the stove will be downstairs. My measurement was 7' for the basement ceiling, so 14' to the roof plus another 3'? 17'? Thanks.

PS - I'll try to do a better job following up!

Last edited:
Ok. I was asking because if that would have been 30 ft, the cost would have risen dramatically from that. 17 ft is not the reason for the high price. So I refer to the remarks above.

Note that 17 ft with two elbows and a horizontal run may not be ideal (download the manual and see the chimney height requirements - 15 ft minimum and each elbow and ft of horizontal run will add to that minimum.)

This just seems extreme to me. $9500. The surround isn't needed. This is one hell of a payback period.
I will pay any fair price. But I am not fond of being taken to the woodshed. I can't know if I am.

Exterior/Interior:
Set up 20’ of scaffolding to access work area safely
Install floor protection covering the work area
Install a new Blaze King Chinook 30 wood burning free standing stove
Includes - satin bypass handle / satin door handle / cast iron convection air grille
Install new 6” DuraBlack double wall connector pipe from the existing wood burning stove to the wall
Includes - wall pass through / finishing collar / thimble
Install new 6” DuraTech stainless double wall venting system
Includes - termination cap / T support bracket / T clean out / finishing collar / roof support brackets / elbows
Work site will be cleaned when finished
1/2 down payment and balance when finished
OR
12 months same as cash financing with zero interest, zero down payments and zero required monthly payments
1 year Peace of Mind Pledge
Annual preventative maintenance plans available after 1st year
Unit link -
Description Qty Unit Price Amount
1 9,545.83 9,545.83
Total $9,545.83

This just seems extreme to me. $9500. The surround isn't needed. This is one hell of a payback period.
I will pay any fair price. But I am not fond of being taken to the woodshed. I can't know if I am.
Agreed. The prices we are seeing this summer are unprecedented. Two years ago, it would have been half that price. Is this the only quote?

I'm with BeGreen, things are vastly more costly this year. Steel is excessive, glass just went up 27% in one whack!, freight and shipping a more than excessive, they are insane! All that translates to higher costs. Is the surround something you could have done later?

The 25D tax credit (if completed this year) will reward you with a 26% tax liability credit. However, a decorative surround would be likely not applicable. However, if the surround was done for safety reasons, it might qualify. (Think clearances here)

I thought the tax credit went up to 30% this year. Did I get this wrong?

I thought the tax credit went up to 30% this year. Did I get this wrong?
Next year beginning 1/1/2023. Unfortunately, it is 30%, but going from 25D to 25C puts in place a cap of $2,000!

I'm with BeGreen, things are vastly more costly this year. Steel is excessive, glass just went up 27% in one whack!, freight and shipping a more than excessive, they are insane! All that translates to higher costs. Is the surround something you could have done later?

The 25D tax credit (if completed this year) will reward you with a 26% tax liability credit. However, a decorative surround would be likely not applicable. However, if the surround was done for safety reasons, it might qualify. (Think clearances here)
I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and take the bid. I believe that technically the surround isn't needed. But in for a penny, in for a pound. I've got so many projects, and they're all taking a million years. It's been a challenge to put anything across the finish line, for sure!

Luckily, it was a busy weekend playing. We dodged all the rain until the last ten minutes!

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and take the bid. I believe that technically the surround isn't needed. But in for a penny, in for a pound. I've got so many projects, and they're all taking a million years. It's been a challenge to put anything across the finish line, for sure!

Luckily, it was a busy weekend playing. We dodged all the rain until the last ten minutes!
Sometimes it just feels good to cross something off the list!

You'll be happy with the stove - IF you have dry enough wood.if you don't have wood that's been split and stacked for two years, please consider buying a pallet of sawdust bricks, e.g. NIELS. Modern stoves really need dry wood to perform well.
Trying out a new stove with wood that's too wet will be a frustrating disappointment.

And the "seasoned" wood one can buy is almost always insufficiently dry.

Get a moisture meter too (and read it's manual so that you operate it correctly, and the numbers actually are somewhat correct.)

Just a few updates:

25D will expire 12/31/2022. This is the 26%, no financial cap, not restricted to primary residence and credits that are not used can be carried over one year. TO QUALIFY FOR THIS CREDIT, THE QUANLIFYING UNIT MUST BE INSTALLED BY 12/31/2022. That potion of 25D that was 22% in 2023 has been overridden by the new 25C tax credit.

Beginning January 1, 2023, the 25C is 30% up to $2,000. For primary residence only. No carry over to the next tax year. Qualifying units must be 75% efficient based upon the Higher Heating Value (HHV). Recently an official with EPA addressed the way in which some manufacturers were calculating their efficiencies and therefore indicating their wood heaters qualified for the 75% requirement. He made it clear that EPA does not regulate efficiencies, but "it's not beyond the possibility that I will write a letter to EPA". Take this with a grain of salt.

This 25C is scheduled to run for 10-years.

how tall will the chimney be? with 20' of scaffolding i would assume at least 20' but figured I'd ask.

You'll be happy with the stove - IF you have dry enough wood.if you don't have wood that's been split and stacked for two years, please consider buying a pallet of sawdust bricks, e.g. NIELS. Modern stoves really need dry wood to perform well.
Trying out a new stove with wood that's too wet will be a frustrating disappointment.

And the "seasoned" wood one can buy is almost always insufficiently dry.

Get a moisture meter too (and read it's manual so that you operate it correctly, and the numbers actually are somewhat correct.)
I've got 4 cords of oak, BL, with a smidge of hickory and Osage. Been under cover for years and is testing at about 12-14%.

It just kills me to walk past it for so long!! ;-)

Reactions: stoveliker
how tall will the chimney be? with 20' of scaffolding i would assume at least 20' but figured I'd ask.
It's going in the walkout basement, so it has to come though the basement wall and then go 3' above the roof. I guess it could very well be almost 20'.

I've got 4 cords of oak, BL, with a smidge of hickory and Osage. Been under cover for years and is testing at about 12-14%.

It just kills me to walk past it for so long!! ;-)
I like it when a guy says his oak has been stacked all summer and it's now 7%. Your testimony proves after years under cover, it still isn't 7%. I once read Louisville Sluggers measure 5%.

Reactions: stoveliker
I think things may change again! There is a fireplace downstairs, but it was unusable for an insert for reasons too lengthy to explain, and nobody would even believe me. But a handyman has made an awfully good guess on how to solve the problem. So I'll get them back out here or just have them make up an alternate bid.

OK, early gig out of town. Thanks to all.