BK King Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Insert it where??

Nov 10, 2022
VA all day
Hi All - Looking for some feedback on BK King install. It will be replacing an old Dutchwest and I'm getting mixed feedback on the need to line the chimney. It's an external chimney that was built in 1989 and lined with 9" x 13" flue tile with an overall height of 25'.

Since the chimney and flue tile are in great shape, I'm trying to understand if lining it with the 8" liner is necessary - by my calculation, I have adequate height, but it may create too much draw. Would love to understand once and for all if the additional $1500 in parts & labor are warranted.

It may be required depending on clearance to combustibles, but even if it isn't required (which is rare) being an external chimney you definitely want an insulated liner or you will have issues with creosote. If your worried about draft just put in a key damper.

Since the chimney and flue tile are in great shape, I'm trying to understand if lining it with the 8" liner is necessary - by my calculation, I have adequate height, but it may create too much draw. Would love to understand once and for all if the additional $1500 in parts & labor are warranted.

The insulated chimney liner will allow the stove to work as designed, keep flue temps high enough to support draft, and minimize creosote. It is also a safety improvement as those old masonry chimneys are usually either broken or were never built right.

25' of 8" insulated liner for installed for 1500$ sounds like a great deal.

The insulated chimney liner will allow the stove to work as designed, keep flue temps high enough to support draft, and minimize creosote. It is also a safety improvement as those old masonry chimneys are usually either broken or were never built right.

25' of 8" insulated liner for installed for 1500$ sounds like a great deal.
I can barely buy the materials I would use for that price honestly and for 8" it's going to have to be oval and possibly tiles removed. It's a very good price

OP,

Just imagine how the $1500 will provide peace of mind that you have what should be a very safe install. Also, the KE40 does qualify for the 25C Tax credit. That credit applies towards stove, liner labor etc.

BKVP