Flue Lining Question + Stove Reco

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jmak

Oct 19, 2023
Hello!

Two related questions for you all:

1) I have a chimney that was formerly used for a gas boiler, which I'd like to line and use with a wood stove I'd install.

Flue is lined in galvanized steel I think(?) currently. Starts off at 9" in the boiler room, ends with a 7" top on the roof about 35' above the ground (3 floor townhouse).

I'd like to avoid removing this existing liner if I can, just to reduce the risk of damaging the masonry and such as I do so.

It seems like a 5.5" ID/6.75" OD insulated zero-clerance liner is the biggest I could possibly get down that flue--agree? I'm assuming I should do a zero-clearance because I can't verify the clearance between combustables and the masonry given the house was built in 1875?

2) ...and then if I install a 5.5" ID liner, thoughts on using a 6" flue stove? I understand you can trade diameter for height in some cases. Would a chimney ~35' tall qualify?

TIA--and if anyone knows any good chimney/stove folks in the Philly area, happy to consult with them, just having trouble finding anyone local to figure this out with me.

Yes, a zero-clearance liner is needed. What is the ID of the masonry chimney? 35'+ is a very tall flue system. 5.5" may be helpful in reducing the draft strength a bit. A wood stove will likely need a draft damper on the stovepipe to further reduce draft strength.

Thanks for your quick reply--great question. I can only see the liner, so unclear, but my guess is ~8-9". There's an unused, unlined flue next to the one we're discussing here that is 9" (square) in the basement.