Stainless Steel Liner Insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ShawnKirkptrick

Oct 28, 2023
NC
Hello everyone! We’ve recently tackled trying to get our wood stove installed. Me and my dad went up and busted out 5 of the 6 clay tiles in the existing chimney and was able to get the SS liner slid all the way down easy. The thing I was curious about was our kit didn’t come with a Tee but we were able to have the pipe bend to come through the wall. Our kit came with an appliance adapter. I called Rockford Chimney Supply and the gentleman said I could use the appliance adapter to hook straight to stove pipe and finish coming through the wall? Also researching more I found out our kit did not come with insulation but was curious if this was necessary? Our masonry chimney is about 12-13’ high also adding the height coming off the stove. I’m just worried about having poor draft. And last question is when we were messing with the through the wall section the concrete the builders I guess poured started cracking so we took it all out. We were going to go back with brick to incase the pipe going through the wall. Is there a special kind of brick we need for this? Also can we use the liner to go through this section or do we need single or double wall pipe? Thanks in advance!!

when you say, "come through the wall" - do you mean just through the wall of the masonry chimney structure? Or is there drywall/framing involved in the wall you're going through? Pics would be helpful.
Generally speaking insulating the liner is a good idea - in many cases it is required to meet code, and either way i think it's generally considered safer and worth the cost if you can fit it. Is the chimney internal to the house, or on an external wall?
What type of stove do you intend to hook up?

when you say, "come through the wall" - do you mean just through the wall of the masonry chimney structure? Or is there drywall/framing involved in the wall you're going through? Pics would be helpful.
Generally speaking insulating the liner is a good idea - in many cases it is required to meet code, and either way i think it's generally considered safer and worth the cost if you can fit it. Is the chimney internal to the house, or on an external wall?
What type of stove do you intend to hook up?
The masonry structure and there is dry wall and framing. The chimney is internal dead center of the house. The thing with the insulation is I don’t think I’d have room to fit it with the liner.

If the horizontal section is through a wall with drywall and framing, i think you will definitely want/need an insulated thimble.
My liner kit from rockford came with the T at the bottom, ran the T snout into an insulated thimble through the wall. then stove pipe down to the stove.
My chimney is central to the house and it is lined, but not insulated. However i checked in my attic and between my floors, and i feel confident i have the required air space between framing and the masonry structure, as well as fire stop flashing between the floors. Also my liner sits inside my tile, i didn't have to break them out. Depending on some of those details in your installation, some may advise that you need the insulation to meet code. I can't say. Also, what kind of stove? A catalytic stove may need that insulation to be able to run lower, whereas some other stove types may draft fine and generate less creosote. How much room do you have? i think the insulation only adds half an inch or so?

If the horizontal section is through a wall with drywall and framing, i think you will definitely want/need an insulated thimble.
My liner kit from rockford came with the T at the bottom, ran the T snout into an insulated thimble through the wall. then stove pipe down to the stove.
My chimney is central to the house and it is lined, but not insulated. However i checked in my attic and between my floors, and i feel confident i have the required air space between framing and the masonry structure, as well as fire stop flashing between the floors. Also my liner sits inside my tile, i didn't have to break them out. Depending on some of those details in your installation, some may advise that you need the insulation to meet code. I can't say. Also, what kind of stove? A catalytic stove may need that insulation to be able to run lower, whereas some other stove types may draft fine and generate less creosote. How much room do you have? i think the insulation only adds half an inch or so?
It’s a secondary combustion stove. The brand is Grand Teton from tractor supply. I would have room in the chimney but we wasn’t able to get all the tiles busted out. We still have about 1 whole section still remaining about half way down. I guess it could be insulated up to that point.

You need a tee just sweeping it out will cause problems if any debris falls down the liner. The chimney needs to have 2" clearance to combustibles materials all around it. If it doesn't have this you need insulation. You also most likely need an insulated thimble as well

Please post pictures of the area of connection in the house. There may be other issues that need addressing.