BK minimum hearth size.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hass

Minister of Fire
Mar 20, 2011
Alabama, NY
So I got my new stove on wheels, and hover it above the hearth to see how well it will fit up.

But I'm about 3 inches short on the front loading length of 16"

https://www.blazeking.com/PDF/manuals/en/wood/OM-CK24 E V1.03.pdf

The minimum hearth size is 43.25" x 34.75"

Mine is about 48" x 61"
Obviously I've made a mistake somewhere. What does the minimum hearth size refer to?
I assumed the minimum hearth size is a guide to go by, provided the stove is placed perfectly correct on it that it would meet all requirements.

edit;
I think I see it now, it's looks like it doesn't count the space from the chimney to wall as part of the hearth.
Very misleading if you're butting it up against a wall.
I guess I got some changes to make since it's already tiled/set.

Like my daddy always told me, measure twice and cut once! ;-)

How far off the wall are you installing the stove?

rdust said:
Like my daddy always told me, measure twice and cut once! ;-)

How far off the wall are you installing the stove?

The flue collar is 14" from the outside of the collar. (13.65" min)
From the back of the flue collar to the front of the loading door, it's 20"

That equals 34... Which, oddly enough I have 14" in front of the loading door making me 2" short.
Everything adds up properly... :p
But I feel like a dummy because I just added a few to the min hearth size, and called it good.
Now I have to figure out a way to add a little bit and not make it look like a giant turd in my living room. :p

Do you have the ember protection all the way to the wall? by the looks of letters I and B in the pics on page 13, to use the minimum size that ember protection would need to be off of the wall.

pen

"Now I have to figure out a way to add a little bit and not make it look like a giant turd in my living room."

Maybe one of those on the other side of the room would take attention away from the hearth...

pen said:
Do you have the ember protection all the way to the wall? by the looks of letters I and B in the pics on page 13, to use the minimum size that ember protection would need to be off of the wall.

pen

This is it.
When i was looking at the clearances I saw how they did it :|
misleading.

That sucks. Maybe a hearth rug set in front would be an easy solution?

pen

pen said:
That sucks. Maybe a hearth rug set in front would be an easy solution?

pen

Is the rug by itself enough? I was thinking one of the hearth boards I've seen people use from the hardware store then a nice hearth rug over it to hide it. It's getting cold, in the off season you can worry about making it pretty. :)

Edit: maybe even a simple row of tile in front of the stone work you currently have for the time being is enough for now.

In doing more research online I'm not so sure this hearth rug I mentioned is truly going to be ember protection, afriad it is mostly decorative. I'm thinking you are going to need to find a specifically listed rug for this purpose (which I haven't found yet) or else do like you were thinking w/ tile.

pen

Maybe these would work? Not sure if there would need to be a UL listing for this or how that would work. http://www.plowhearth.com/Flame-Res...ound-Hearth-Rugs_p7843_S2011_D4000_C1032.html Definately seems heavier duty (and the picture has a burning piece of wood on it)

Maybe a hearth extension like one of these would be your best option http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Wood-Stove-and-Accessories/Hearth-Extensions they are some serious bucks though :gulp:

Here is a hearth extension for 80 bucks http://www.amazon.com/12x48-Extensi...T2C4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1320794283&sr=8-5

pen

pen said:
Something like this maybe? There are more expensive ones http://www.amazon.com/Hearth-Rug-Ba...TLQC/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1320793413&sr=8-9

It's ember protection that you need so this would be for that.

pen

I guess I'm interested in what defines "ember protection". To me that is fireproof protection a hearth rug is only flame resistant and will burn at some point. I see to types of stove boards, on is UL type 1 which is fireproof/ember protection and type 2 which provides fireproof/ember protection plus thermal protection.

Edit: looks like you beat me to is with your above posts! You're like a Ninja! :)

How much does a piece of cement board cost? Since it's only a couple inches maybe a 4" piece of cement board with a 4" tile "glued" to it, the hearth extensions will add more than you need and may take away from precious floor space depending on the size of the room. My stove room is small so space is at a premium in here.

NATE379 said:
Which Blaze King do you have?

It's in his sig, "Blaze King Chinook"

Thanks guys.
I like those pen, they would make it super easy for me... But the problem is I already have the bevel/chamfer on the corner like they have on theirs... so it'd fit up a little awkward.
Plus I already have leftover cement board, mortar and grout... :] so if I just slop down some more tile I think I'd save a couple bucks.

rdust said:
How much does a piece of cement board cost? Since it's only a couple inches maybe a 4" piece of cement board with a 4" tile "glued" to it, the hearth extensions will add more than you need and may take away from precious floor space depending on the size of the room. My stove room is small so space is at a premium in here.

This is the plan... I need approx 3", so I figure I'll triple check my measurements, then find like some tile 4" wide and add it all around. Or else I can just buy the current tile I used (12x12) and cut it down.
You're right about the space. It's in my Living room/dining room. The room is 33'x10', and the stove goes in the middle of it splitting it in half. So I end up with the hearth sticking half way out in to the room almost. I have a 700 sq/ft house.. so floor space anywhere is a premium :)

I made sure I covered my bases and did a flush mount though... Because I don't want to go stubbing toes left and right for the rest of my life! =)

When you get it installed, get some pics with it burning. I have been wanting to see this new stove. Almost wish it had been out when I bought mine cause I would have bought that one I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.