bk oak install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecocavalier02

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2008
ct
Well I'm considering installing an Oak on the princess. Seems like a lot of people get good results out of it. Any of you guys had good look with it? I already have the intake outside and just have to run the hose then make a fitting at my shop to go on the stove.

Make sure you have a grate of some sort on the outside. When that blaze king is sucking air I'd hate to see it pull in squirrels or chipmunks or small dogs. :smirk:

pen

yeah i already have a birdcage over it. i installed one on my last stove but never hooked up one with the b k . but ive been reading some stuff on here that alot of people like it so im going to put it in.

If you've come this far I'd say try it. I keep debating hooking one up to my stove to experiment. I'd really like it if the stove didn't pull cold air in from every leaky window, outlet, door, etc in this place.

pen

If I did not have an OAK on my stove it would be a smokey mess. Even with the OAK I keep the window near the stove cracked open about 3/4". If I don't if the bath fan or dryer is on it tends to pull smoke into the house from small leaks around the piping, stove gasketing, etc... Mind you my house is sealed very tight.

If the window isn't open with the dryer or bath fan going the front door is hard to close from the vacuum that starts to form.

Just installed an OAK yesterday. I did it because my house, too, is very tight and all the air was being pulled in from one room at the complete opposite end of the house from the stove, creating a draft through the house (I am shocked I never developed thunderheads inside the house as a result of this mixture of warm and cold air).

If you already have the access to the outside air, I say go for it and see what the difference is.

Good luck!

I like OAKs, they are a wise part of the installation. The BK being a cat stove actually pulls only a small amount of air and has a very weak draft most of the time, especially on low burns. The BK won't pull much air through the home without an OAK but will also be more sensitive to a low pressure situation caused inside the home by other exhaust fans like the dryer or bath fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.