BK Princess initial impressions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
north of 60 said:
This thread doesn't mention an NC-30 or a PE. These burn times are impossible and cant exist providing decent usable heat in the shoulder season. It may be moved or closed at any time. :lol:

Some say you can burn spruce & get 24+ hr burn times. Unbelievable.
N60, you could be nook'd
Maybe move-able, close-able, delete-able or nook-able .

Bear prodding? Still laughing. :lol:
Good one Hiram

rdust, when you burn a full load of good dry Michigan hardwood this winter, I'll be curious how long those burn times are. (oak envy here :) )
I know I like it when the neighbors ask when I'll start burning the wood stove, & I say " I'm burning now" & they look up at the smokeless stack.

Dave when im burning in the middle of winter and i use oak i can get away with 2 loads a day on average weather days. but its sometimes needs three loads a day. sometime i just do three loads so i dont have to stuff the crap out of theni do a couple medium size loads and a small one mid day.

Dave when im burning in the middle of winter and i use oak i can get away with 2 loads a day on average weather days. but its sometimes needs three loads a day. sometime i just do three loads so i dont have to stuff the crap out of theni do a couple medium size loads and a small one mid day.

rdust said:
Heck this thing burns so good I'm going to start burning more pine! I have a dozen or so pines here that need to come down and more die every year so I can have pine for a while. If I can burn a couple cords of pine yearly it'll allow me save my good hardwoods.

Go for it. Given that you can fill that big square firebox to the gills every time and rely on the the tstat to manage the burn, I only burn the good stuff in the worst weather. Having pine around is nice at the end of those long burn cycles to throw on the coals at reload time.

Ok, you guys can stop now before I start thinking of buying another new stove. :lol:

DaFattKidd said:
Rdust,
These burn times are incredible. I am so impressed with Blaze Kings. Do you mind me asking how much you paid the the Princess? If you're uncomfortable with it I completely understand. What is the cf, and measurements (height, width, depth) of the firebox on Princess? Glad to hear you're enjoying your new stove. That baby sounds like a real beast. I wish you well with it. What were you burning before the BK? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really curious after such astonishing results.

I'll send you a pm on the price, I don't want to hurt any feelings. :lol:

BK lists the Princess at 2.8 cf and it's pretty much right on, if anything they sell it a little short. The stove only has bricks on the lower layer so the bottom is smaller than above the bricks. The lower layer has 18" n/s, 21" e/w and height up to the cat enclosure is right around 12 1/2". Once you get above the bricks you gain about another 2" n/s and a little e/w but the sides angle in some as they come up, you also have another inch or so on height on the sides of the cat enclosure if you want to get crazy filling all the spaces. You can't fit 18" pieces n/s in the first layer due to the tabs that hold the top of the bricks but 17" works fine. I have a lot of wood that I cut to 18" for my Lopi Endeavor so I use those after I get above the bricks with shorter pieces or toss them in e/w.

No worries on the questions that was this place is all about.

Todd said:
Ok, you guys can stop now before I start thinking of buying another new stove. :lol:

I have been actually waiting for a post from you........."Bought the new Woodstock Progress" :cheese: :lol:

rdust said:
DaFattKidd said:
Rdust,
These burn times are incredible. I am so impressed with Blaze Kings. Do you mind me asking how much you paid the the Princess? If you're uncomfortable with it I completely understand. What is the cf, and measurements (height, width, depth) of the firebox on Princess? Glad to hear you're enjoying your new stove. That baby sounds like a real beast. I wish you well with it. What were you burning before the BK? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really curious after such astonishing results.

I'll send you a pm on the price, I don't want to hurt any feelings. :lol:

Once you get above the bricks you gain about another 2" n/s and a little e/w but the sides angle in some as they come up, you also have another inch or so on height on the sides of the cat enclosure if you want to get crazy filling all the spaces. You can't fit 18" pieces n/s in the first layer due to the tabs that hold the top of the bricks but 17" works fine. I have a lot of wood that I cut to 18" for my Lopi Endeavor so I use those after I get above the bricks with shorter pieces or toss them in e/w.

I know it hurt my feeling a little..... ;-P

There is a roof truss manufacture 3 miles down the road from me, and tons of free scrap 2x4's. That's what I use to fill in the spaces on the sides of the CAT and any other void in the firebox.

I'm very happy for you! :)

Hiram Maxim said:
Todd said:

I have been actually waiting for a post from you........."Bought the new Woodstock Progress" :cheese: :lol:

Ha, that new Woodstock is too big for my setup but I would be interested in that new smaller Blaze King that's coming out next year.

Todd said:
Hiram Maxim said:
Todd said:

Ha, that new Woodstock is too big for my setup but I would be interested in that new smaller Blaze King that's coming out next year.

What they coming out with next year Todd?

weatherguy said:
Todd said:
Hiram Maxim said:
Todd said:

What they coming out with next year Todd?

Our brief correspondence with BKVP hinted at a smaller new Blaze King stove for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.