BK Princess insert and raised hearth question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

backld

Nov 15, 2010
OHIO
I'm looking at a BK Princess insert. I have a raised hearth that is about 1 foot high and 16 inches deep. According to BK you need 16 inches from the front of the door. Since the Princess sticks out about 13 inches, this only leaves me about 3 inches in front of the stove. Below and in front of my hearth is oak flooring. What do I need to do? Does this mean I cant go with the Princess?

You could also call the city that you live in and ask for codes for inserts. The inspector should be able to answer your questions or the installer. I went with a 18 inch hearth. The inspector came out and said "it looks good" and sat down and we had a cup of coffee. My all state insurance guy didnt care either, Its a insert that you are putting into a fireplace that we already know about. They didnt evan want a copie of the inspection record.

Most inserts are not all that flush, You messure the distance from the door and then out to combustables. There has been so many posts on the forum, this one is not getting a answer.

E-mail Chris at the BK Headquarters, he will help you! cneufeld <[email protected]>

My hearth is about 14" high and 24" deep. I ended up with about 10" left in front of the insert. I bought an 18" hearth extension pad and set in front of it. Passed my inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.