BK Princess need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rdust I am trying your method. I got her hot and shut her down. Here's a pic at 2:30
84b67123c77c9d69bc36a41d457477cb.jpg

Big sheet metal screw?

Shouldn't leak into the house. It should suck room air in.

My dealer just stopped by. The first thing he said was it felt warm. The temperature in the house was 72, keep in mind that it is 30° outside. I then told him I was burning on high ( by high I mean 3) for 2 1/2 hours. The temperature of the stove top was 600°. The cat temp guage was about 3/4 past active. I dropped it down to 2 and the stove top dropped below 500° pretty quick. The cat guage dropped below half past active quickly. The next load I'm going to try cannons idea. I had to load it full for the dealer to look at. I'll try anything until the furnace kicks on. That's were I draw the line. I have a 4 month old baby boy that will not get cold on my watch. I did burn the kiln dried wood last night with no change. I loaded it at 11:30, dialed it down to 2 ( lower than to and everything drops), and woke up at 6 with ash and just a couple of coals. I'm trying to drop the thermostat but it will not heat my home. Sick to my stomach. I know these stoves are excellent. I just think there is something wrong that I'm not catching or find.
So what was the dealer's conclusion besides saying the house felt warm? Is he going to provide any further assistance in solving your problem? Is he in contact with BKVP ?

A Condor double wall pipe probe needs a 3/16 hole in the inner pipe and 1/4 inch hole on the outside pipe.

He thinks there is a problem. He thinks these are still short burn times. He thought it was warm but didn't know I was burning so high to achieve inside temps.

Not sure yet.
Everyone on Hearth.com is so very helpful and they have a wealth of personal experience to share. But the real knowledge base of information about this stove lies with BK. Hopefully they will bring their resources to bear and solve this perplexing problem for you. This has got to be very stressful, but I am sure a solution will be found. Hang in there, and best of luck.

I'm very interested in the draft test results, I'm also curious about the test going on right now with the stove loaded, nice and hot turned all the way down with the damper closed, due you mind posting your results with pics of the thermometers on (1) hour interval, I know you have a lot going on right now but it may help us understand how the heat is working through the firebox. Good point on the dollar bill test on the damper, my gut feeling is that there is something wrong there, looking at your pic of your chimney I got to ask is that a brand new never used? if it is there is their might be an issue going on, looking at the cap and first foot down on the class a pipe it seems stained pretty bad, I would dismiss it if it was over a year old but if its only a couple days old there's something going on, also is the cat in the correct place? When I looked at the princess in person a couple weeks ago the dealer took the metal grate off and the cat was right there, yours looks like its to far back maybe that's how the pic looks but if anyone else can carefully look at it in the pics please do. I hope you get a solution asap and you become a proud BK owner, please don't give up on it!

I was looking at the pics you posted on page three of the stove and on the pics showing your stove the bypass lever was open on both pics, "when the lever points to you its opened, when its pointed away from you its in the closed position" I know those were pics of the stove before and after a reload but can you confirm that the lever is pointed away from you right now?

The stove stalled out after 2 hours. Just had to turn it up a bit. The manometer tested at .03 positive. Now I have to figure out what that means. It's the high side of what I need I guess

The stove stalled out after 2 hours. Just had to turn it up a bit. The manometer tested at .03 positive. Now I have to figure out what that means. It's the high side of what I need I guess

What setting did you have it on? When you say stalled out do you mean the cat went "inactive"?

I was looking at the pics you posted on page three of the stove and on the pics showing your stove the bypass lever was open on both pics, "when the lever points to you its opened, when its pointed away from you its in the closed position" I know those were pics of the stove before and after a reload but can you confirm that the lever is pointed away from you right now?

Those pictures are when he was loading and early in the burn. When the wood is fully engulfed it appears the bypass is closed.

What setting did you have it on? When you say stalled out do you mean the cat went "inactive"?
Yeah Illinois burner did a load with the stove hot and shut the stove down to see if he could maintain a prolonged cat light off and decent stove top temps.. Something is wrong here, That dented chimney section is only an outside dent right?

Your manual says '.05 in. w.c. operated on high', so I guess that's pretty close.

That is an external dent. No biggie. I checked it out. Came out of the box that way. I just dealt with it since I was so close to starting the fire. This is all new pipe. Been burning for 3 weeks or so

When you checked it at .03"wc, where was the draft set?

I'm officially out of ideas. My buddy that works on furnaces say that you need 30 btus for every square foot of your house. This figure is supposed to be based on a 8° outside temperature. If that's true than this stove isn't big enough. However everyone on here says different. I'm giving up until I talk to Chris. He's supposed to be back tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.