Black Cherry ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Woody Stover said:
Beer Belly said:
Here it is....split, no outstanding odor to it
OK, I'm going back to LEE's original ID, Cherry, although you should be able to smell that fragrance. It's not overpowering, but it should be there. Maybe your nose is full of sawdust... :lol:
You can also see the horizontal stripes on the bark in the new pics. I'm sure there's some botanical name for them... :smirk:

Yeah, that does look more cherryish now. BTW, they're called lenticels.

Woody Stover said:
Beer Belly said:
Thanks guys.....going to pick up a truck load on my way to work....then hit it again tomorrow :cheese:
Good move. It's a medium-heat wood but you'll like it. Burns well and smells great. I stacked some in August, split small, but it didn't get quite dry enough, hissed and had a few wet spots on the end of the splits when burned. Get it stacked soon and it may be good this Winter....
+1, a medium-heat wood but very user friendly.

That top split looks a lot more like hard wood now
should smell like cherry when you split it though

nice score
the bark flakes can be hard and sharp as a flint

that also looks a bit like virginia creeper vine growing on it
I often find poison ivy growing along side it - be careful
poison ivy usually has lots and lots and lots of air roots making it hard to pull off.

Absolutely - totally different view in the split photos - cherry (nice work Lee on the original I.D.!). Cheers!

It will darken after sitting a year in the stack. Cherry is on the lighter side when fresh cut. There should be little, small, dark sap pockets running along the grain. It looks like there are some. Nice score!

fishingpol said:
There should be little, small, dark sap pockets running along the grain.
Oh, yeah, I forgot about those. What color are they, you may ask; They are Cherry-red, of course. :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.