Black debris in my yard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RSNovi

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
May 12, 2010
Michigan
This past weekend I noticed some black pieces of thin film in my yard. At first I just thought they were leaves, but looking closer they were solid black and I think it might have come from my chimney. It was really thin pieces of black stuff which was shiny on one side a matte on the other. Do you know what this is? If I step on a piece, it just disintegrates to dust.

My stove was installed in September of this year.

Chris

Chris, Sounds like creosote. Tell us about the wood you are using. Was it cut/split & stacked over 12 months ago? If you are burning Oak, that takes even longer to season.

Shari

It's not necessarily uncommon for the updraft in the flue to scatter that loose, thin "creosote film" across a yard on occasion. I know that the last section of my flue has more buildup than the rest (which is still very little, overall), but I can see these thin strips when I remove the cap before brushing. They are less than paper thin.

I had to purchase my wood and I bought it from a place recommended from my wood stove dealer. I was assured that it was split and stacked for at least 18 months. Most of the stuff I have been burning lately is Maple with some Oak. It burns great with a nice clean glass so I originally believed what I was told about the wood.

I do know the first few times I was trying to get an overnight burn that I ended up with a smoldering fire while trying to learn how to use the stove. Since then, I have not had a smoldering fire.

My guess there was probably still oil residue left in your new flue from packaging and storing. It would of made your 1st few low temp/ smoldering fires hard to adhere to the inside. When you wound up your stove the latter times this would of caused this stuff to flake off and end up where it did. ;-)

This time of year - its probably duck farts. There flying all over the place right about now. Well, thats my guess anyhow.

Or maybe creosote that you cooked back off of the pipe and it flew out with the updraft, but I'm still leaning towards duck farts.

Jags said:
This time of year - its probably duck farts. There flying all over the place right about now. Well, thats my guess anyhow.

Or maybe creosote that you cooked back off of the pipe and it flew out with the updraft, but I'm still leaning towards duck farts.

All our ducks and geese flew south a month ago. I dont know what there schedule is but I imagine that they could of made it down there by now. Cant rule out that possibility I guess.

Do you use newspaper to start your fires? I get that crap in the yard too. Mine is from the paper.
Yours MAY be duck farts. Hard to tell from here.

PapaDave said:
Do you use newspaper to start your fires? I get that crap in the yard too. Mine is from the paper.
Yours MAY be duck farts. Hard to tell from here.

I always use the was and sawdust starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.