Black glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chrism said:
Speaking of chimney how often do you guys clean it I have a double insulated pipe going through an insulated chase???

I clean my chimney -- outside Class A monthly -- even though I could honestly get by with just 1-2 cleanings a year.

I do so since a) I can clean it from the bottom up outside so it's literally a 5-10 minute job and b) If I ever had a chimney fire I would never hear the end of it from the guys I work with since my job is fire prevention.

I am new to cleaning glass but I found the ash trick works well along with a blue sponge scratch pad. I have always heard that you should never clean eye glasses with paper towel because they will scratch over time. The cellulose and ash content in the paper towel may leave micro scratches in the glass? If some folks have been doing this for years and have not noticed this, it is probably alright. Maybe the ceramic "glass" is harder than normal window glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.