Black glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think every stove is going to get black glass if you burn 24/7.. I have 36' stack, EPA, Very seasoned wood, and black glass...

I just want tho know what is the easiest way to clean the glass... Maybe: oven cleaner, gasoline, scrape off with a razor blade... What works best???

john_alaska said:
I think every stove is going to get black glass if you burn 24/7.. I have 36' stack, EPA, Very seasoned wood, and black glass...

I just want tho know what is the easiest way to clean the glass... Maybe: oven cleaner, gasoline, scrape off with a razor blade... What works best???

Have you tried having a good hot fire for a few hours to see if it burns off? If that doesn't work most guys here seem to recommend water and ash on a newspaper, or Rutland glass cleaner.

john_alaska said:

I burn 24/7 and it never turns black unless I have the air closed down too far.

A wet paper towel dipped in some ashes works well to clean.

pen

Todd said:
This comes up here every year at the beginning of the burning season and most of the problem is sluggish shoulder season draft. I get it too this time of year and as it gets colder out the glass clears up.

+1 - my glass gets dirty, mainly at the bottom corners, during shoulder season, but once better draft begins as colder weather comes, glass remains much cleaner. Cheers!

john_alaska said:

Absolutely not. Even though I had issues with my Magnolia in other areas one thing it was perfect at was clean glass. I burned it for a month and it literally stayed crystal clear the whole time. That airwash system was dead on.
As for cleaning I've found a damp paper towel dipped in ash will clean it up just fine especially if coming off a hot fire. The Rutland works good too.

I have a 28' pipe, and i'm new to wood burning. So far it is looking good. The first time I fired the stove up it got dark for like 5 mins. Then when the stove got hot it cleared right up. My biggest fear is that i will break the glass. I have the glass protector extender things on the stove, and I'm pretty careful when i load the stove. Although one time i went to the basement and a red hot coal was laying up against the glass. Will that get hot enough to do any damage?

webby3650 said:
People have a lotta strange ideas out there. In the last two weeks I have heard that "you can't have any elbows in the stove pipe, I won't draw at all" and "we never burn walnut, it's full of creosote" I actually have heard that twice this week!

Wow that's new....those same people probably think it's OK to burn railroad ties.......

Ziprich said:
I have a 28' pipe, and i'm new to wood burning. So far it is looking good. The first time I fired the stove up it got dark for like 5 mins. Then when the stove got hot it cleared right up. My biggest fear is that i will break the glass. I have the glass protector extender things on the stove, and I'm pretty careful when i load the stove. Although one time i went to the basement and a red hot coal was laying up against the glass. Will that get hot enough to do any damage?
I'm sure someone will chime in with the actual ceramic glass temps but you'll never get your stove hot enough to hurt that glass even if hot colas are resting on it.

john_alaska said:

I'm burning wood that as been seasoned two years and still get black on my glass.
Course I'm getting 24 hours on low with the bk easy.
I use a cheap razor blade scraper going in one direction.
Did it all of last season with no problem.
Takes about a minute.

I'm sure blackening the glass varies for every stove / installation. I have gotten much better with very seasoned oak. That said my wife can blacken the glass, in a few hours in these shoulder seasons. Some things that helps, run the stove hot, keep the butt ends away from the glass.

My Endeavor would never dirty the glass, with the BK once I get down to low burn it'll dirty the lower corners up. Of course I just finished loading the stove after a 26 hour burn so I'm not even gonna think of complaining. :)

A clean burn for a cat stove is a different animal than a clean burn for one w/ secondary combustion.

Glass being dirty for many cat stoves is no big deal. With many 2ndary air units, dirty glass means things aren't right.

pen

pen said:
A clean burn for a cat stove is a different animal than a clean burn for one w/ secondary combustion.

Glass being dirty for many cat stoves is no big deal. With many 2ndary air units, dirty glass means things aren't right.

pen

For sure, 45 minutes after loading I'm in smolder mode. :)

Well It was just a question I posted but I'm not burning yet my first burn will be this friday outside because from what I hear a fresh coat of stove bright with a fire in the box will drive you out of ur house and it will smoke to so once I hook her up inside ill see if I get that black glass .

Oh Man
Nothing like crying before you're hurt.
Well if you get black glass, you have a jump on finding the problem & solution.
Good to ask the question here since someone already pre-determined how your system will work.
You got some good straight answers.
Dry wood is #1, typically a year or more split & stacked.
But as said, other things might cause it.

By the way, "GOOD IDEA" burning outside to get the stove "seasoned" before putting it indoors, :exclaim:
I wish I'd have thought of that. LOL :lol: smoke detectors going off & open windows & doors, fans running, cost of eating out that night,
neighbors stopping by to see if everything is OK, but exciting. Look what you're gonna miss out on.

Good luck

Oh man that stinks dave about the stove bright lol how long of a burn time does it take to season the stove to where it won't smoke ??

The first fire it was smokey but I didn't burn it real hot. It was pretty bad.
New stove, out of the box. The BK manual or the BK salesman didn't address the "seasoning" period or the smoke & vapor issue, I "assumed" it was ready to go.
The next fire was hotter & it smoked again but not as bad. but enough that I was glad I had the basement vented.
The next fire was on high, stove pipe got hot enough to smoke pretty good, not much off the stove. Again inside the house, very noticeable odors.
How long?
Any curing instructions with the stove paint?
I'd say it was more to do with temperature, get it burning but not real hot & let it cool, then get it real hot & you should be fine.

The 2nd & 3rd smoke/vapors seasoning burn, I had the fan running in the basement. Wife wasn't real happy after the 1st episode so I had her take everyone shopping & have lunch out.
I've since replaced the single wall pipe with double wall, had the fan running when I fired up the stove with the new pipe but it wasn't as bad.
Stand down wind & watch for smoke is about all I can say, you should smell or notice anything burning/vaporizing off the surfaces.

Mine never smelled all that bad. It wan't pleasant but I just cracked the window near the stove and that's it. Didn't make any smoke. What is odd though is even now, a year later I get that smell from a fire once in a while.

I just thought of something. If the glass is getting dirty then so must be the chimney.

wkpoor said:
I just thought of something. If the glass is getting dirty then so must be the chimney.

On the OPs non-cat? That is partially true. Start ups and air wash design would have some bearing in a non-cat on what ends up in the chimney and on the glass.

Speaking of chimney how often do you guys clean it I have a double insulated pipe going through an insulated chase???

Chrism said:
Speaking of chimney how often do you guys clean it I have a double insulated pipe going through an insulated chase???

Once a year. I tried a mid season cleaning the first two years I burnt and there wasn't enough creosote to make it worth while. I'm not sure once a year is needed, but I do it anyway.

Inspect monthly, clean as needed the first year of burning to get a feel for your system.
Inspect the cap, too. Some need cleaned more than others.
Dry wood, you will have less creosote build up & you'll clean less.
Every system is different. So inspections frequently, helps you learn allot about how it's burning. When you burn hot, the flue gasses don't cool as much & you get less creosote.
Low cooler burns & the gasses cool as they go up the chimney & start coating the inside of the pipe. Wet wood creosotes the stack faster than dry wood. Several variables.
Inspecting & cleaning when needed keep the system running efficient & safely. Chimney fires are Bad.

The cap & very top of mine has some build up & I clean it twice/season.
I have to clean less with the catalytic stove than the non-cat I had.

john_alaska said:

I would beg to differ . . . modern EPA stoves with a decent air wash + seasoned wood + burn at the proper temp and you can go 24/7 and have very little to no black glass . . . fly ash . . . yes . . . but no black glass . . . and if things are going well and you do get of the black you should be able to burn it off the glass.

As for black glass . . . what little I may get in the corner on occasion, especially this time of year, I just burn off with a hot enough fire or clean with a damp rag dipped in ash . . .

Normally, I just need a damp rag or newspaper to clean off the glass though.

Ziprich said:

No worries . . . the "glass" is actually a high winder ceramic that can withstand a lot . . . both in the change of temps in the firebox, flames or hot coals resting right up against it and even the occasional round or split that may roll up against it . . . the one thing a round or split or chunk of coal lying right up against the "glass" might do is make a bit of mess of the glass until you either clean it or the next time you have a hot burn and the area is clear of the coal, round or split.

Status
Not open for further replies.