Black Locust for Deck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The locust around here grows like a corkscrew.... which works fine cut into 16" lengths... no so much for boards... and BTW.... Black locust is toxic, esp the cambium layer...

One of Mother natures answers to pressure treated ( rots out in 10 years or less) man made stuff or the plastic/ wood composite stuff.

The wood grain looks great. How difficult was it to nail and cut?

One of Mother natures answers to pressure treated ( rots out in 10 years or less) man made stuff or the plastic/ wood composite stuff.

Did you say pressure treated rots out in 10 years or less? I know that's a false statement.

The wood grain looks great. How difficult was it to nail and cut?

Nailing the framing together was not fun. I would recommend against trying. We layer the deck down with regular deck screws with no issue. It took them very well in fact. We only drilled pilot holes on the ends. All of the middle holes we just plowed on through. You need a heavy duty corded drill though. My li ion was not up to the task. It's great wood and should stand up to the abuse of shoveling much better than the pressure treated.

Reactions: Lakeside
Did you say pressure treated rots out in 10 years or less? I know that's a false statement.

The old green PT that had copper arsenate would last 150 years or better but from what I have seen of the new green PT 10 years is a long time. Used the new on my deck 7 years ago and will never again, already needs to be replaced. Decks I built 25 years ago with the old PT are still going strong.

The old green PT that had copper arsenate would last 150 years or better but from what I have seen of the new green PT 10 years is a long time. Used the new on my deck 7 years ago and will never again, already needs to be replaced. Decks I built 25 years ago with the old PT are still going strong.
I didn't know that. My deck is 19 years old and solid as ever. Bring back the arsenic baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.