Black Locust stacked in rounds for 2-3 years... possible regrets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PDXpyro

Burning Hunk
Oct 10, 2013
NW Oregon
Howdy, haven't posted here in awhile!

I received a 2-cord load of BL rounds last August, and immediately split/stacked all of the gnarlier and knottier ones, saving some of the moderate-sized and straight rounds for this backyard stack, which serves as a screen for our unsightly garden storage and plant potting clutter area behind the pile. The stack is about 6 feet high at its central peak, and 13-14 feet wide.

Most of these unsplit rounds are in the 10-12" diameter range, max of 14". I split by hand, and am wondering if I'll regret leaving these rounds for another year or two as they are... haven't dealt with *old* BL rounds in the past, but I've found locust to be relatively easy to split while still fairly green. No hurry to burn this lot; it's in the long-term savings account, and the stack is functional and fairly attractive as a screen for the mess behind it.

Since locust is so durable in the weather, this seems safe -- but will it be a bear to split after three years? Don't think so, but just asking. I'll leave it through at least the coming winter for sure, but is longer term a bad idea? Will add a top cover during our rainy seasons.

Attachments

• BackStack.jpg
    BackStack.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 338
Reactions: Soundchasm
I believe the general rule is to split right away. I know that holds true with Oak, but haven't had as much experience with BL. Probably won't be too bad, as you have only straight-grained stuff to split.

Strip a section of bark off each round ( couple chainsaw cuts would do) gives an area for moisture to escape- no moisture less chance of undesirable effects starting.

Nice stack and stash. Locust out here dries fairly quickly. Split it up next year along the check marks and it should be fine.

Wouldnt know but I sure like the look of it. If its in your back up pile it sounds like you dont need the wood any time soon. I would leave it the way its is since its so pretty.

this post is just an excuse to show off a very pretty woodpile

Y'all have got my number! Yep, I find that the wife is way more tolerant of my endless woodpiles when I make them aesthetically attractive and functional whenever possible. She appreciates the effort plenty in January too, but often doesn't quite see the connection clearly in midsummer.

That is some beautiful locust rounds, no rot from the locust borers that I can see. Around here any locust tree 12 inch diameter or greater generally has some interior that is bad. Also, on the splitting, most black locusts if you drop, buck and then split are some of the easiest wood to split there is. It gets tougher with age but shouldn't be too bad in just three years and will be still be rock solid to boot.....

Very nice looking woodpile! Are the bottom rounds right on the ground or on wood or something to keep them elevated a bit?

Bl is fairly rot resistant so it should store in the round pretty well. it might get marginally more difficult to split but not by much.

Very nice looking woodpile! Are the bottom rounds right on the ground or on wood or something to keep them elevated a bit?

They're not right on the ground -- on a double layer of 2x4s laid flatwise. Things have settled a bit though... would like to have more ground clearance, but it's sure not worth rebuilding the pile to do so! Not worried because of the durability of BL... in fact, I've taken to putting a BL foundation on the lowest layer or two when building a new stack of other wood species.

...no rot from the locust borers that I can see. Around here any locust tree 12 inch diameter or greater generally has some interior that is bad.

Maybe we're lucky here in PNW, since all the black locust I've gotten so far is perfectly pristine with no apparent buggy activity.

Howdy, haven't posted here in awhile!

I received a 2-cord load of BL rounds last August, and immediately split/stacked all of the gnarlier and knottier ones, saving some of the moderate-sized and straight rounds for this backyard stack, which serves as a screen for our unsightly garden storage and plant potting clutter area behind the pile. The stack is about 6 feet high at its central peak, and 13-14 feet wide.

Most of these unsplit rounds are in the 10-12" diameter range, max of 14". I split by hand, and am wondering if I'll regret leaving these rounds for another year or two as they are... haven't dealt with *old* BL rounds in the past, but I've found locust to be relatively easy to split while still fairly green. No hurry to burn this lot; it's in the long-term savings account, and the stack is functional and fairly attractive as a screen for the mess behind it.

Since locust is so durable in the weather, this seems safe -- but will it be a bear to split after three years? Don't think so, but just asking. I'll leave it through at least the coming winter for sure, but is longer term a bad idea? Will add a top cover during our rainy seasons.
Nice stack. I won't be showing this to my wife. My only experience is with Black Locust that was 18 months seasoned in the round. Similar diameter to yours. It was not a problem to split the straight grain pieces. Chunks with branches were a bit more challenging.

Status
Not open for further replies.