Black soot all through my house!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are Piccy's of my two Whitfield vent setups.

Direct vent and zero issues.

Snowy

Attachments

• Advantage vent.jpg
    Advantage vent.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 575
  • Prodigy vent1.jpg
    Prodigy vent1.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 582
  • Prodigy vent2.jpg
    Prodigy vent2.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 560
Shortstuff said:
Here in my town, the inspector treated the pellet stove exhaust just as he would any flu/chimney as you can see in the current code below.

All codes I have seen if there are tested and listed mfg instructions they state to follow the instructions, the inspectors will go by that instead of the "generic" codes. But it is their choice to interpret it how they want. (Unless they are totally wrong, then I complain to the state code authority, only had to once so far)

Without reading what everyone has posted and only quickly scanning the few pages posted here this has been an issue with more than one model from USSC from what I have read. Over on the "I burn corn" forum there have been a few people that have had issues and some even had USSC own up to there being a problem and USSC buying back the stove.

Here is a link to just one of the posts over on the old forum that can only be viewed.http://forum.iburncorn.com/viewtopic.php?t=12824

I have a 6500 and in my shop and I know it is producing soot but I can deal with here, but not if it were in my house!

Sorry if I am posting info that has already been posted.

Thank you all for the overwhelming response! I wish I had done this prior to buying a stove, you guys would have led me in the proper direction. Anyway I'm unsure at this point of the outcome of my dilemma, if the stove stays or if I consider buying something else you guys will be the first know! Happy heating to all and have a great winter!

SORRY TO SAY THE PROBLEM IS THE STOVE I HADE TO RETURN MY 6300 WHICH IS THE SAME AS YOURS JUST THE PREVIOUS MODEL. THERE HAVE BEEN MANY CASES WITH THIS MODEL WITH THE SAME ISSUES U HAVE GO TO
WWW.IBURNCORN.COM ANOTHER SITE CHECK OUT THERE FORUMS ALSO THAT IS WHERE I LEARNED OF THE PROBLEM WITH USSTOVE PELLET FURNACES. I HAD SOOT ALL OVER ALSO IT WAS A PAIN AND I CALLED THEM AND THEY AGREED TO BUY IT BACK TOOK IT BACK TO TRACTOR SUPPLY WITH NO ISSUES AND BOUGHT A PELLET INSERT AND HAVE HAD NO ISSUES SINCE BUT BELIEVE ME I TRIED EVERYTHING U HAVE AND THEN SOME THE ISSUE IS THE STOVE TRY AND GET THEM TO BUY IT BACK ITS A LOST CAUSE WITH THOSE UNITS TRUST ME

captainmt3 said:
OK finally!! Here's a few pictures.I have attempted to show how the flue pipe exits the house and the stove. I have shown the red rtv hi-temp silicone at the joints and also a picture of the auger that I read may be a problem. I hope this helps. If I need more let me know.....Thanks Mark

Also, the stove did run on low temp when I first got it. It wasn't very cold outside then! It is not on a stat. It runs only through the night for supplemental heat. ***number 2 setting on automatic burns 2 bags a night.*** House has hot water heat so no existing duct work. There is a place for a filter at the rear of the stove where it gets fresh air however there is no filter there. USSC has them on the website though if you think that will help.

Just in case this is not normal and was missed by you helpful pellet heads as I dont have a clue but sounds a bit rich. I will go back to my wood stove now. ;-)
Cheers

NUMBER 2 SETTING ON AUTOMATIC BURNS 2 BAGS A NIGHT :coolhmm:

Rubicon 327 said:
Without reading what everyone has posted and only quickly scanning the few pages posted here this has been an issue with more than one model from USSC from what I have read. Over on the "I burn corn" forum there have been a few people that have had issues and some even had USSC own up to there being a problem and USSC buying back the stove.

Here is a link to just one of the posts over on the old forum that can only be viewed.http://forum.iburncorn.com/viewtopic.php?t=12824

I have a 6500 and in my shop and I know it is producing soot but I can deal with here, but not if it were in my house!

Sorry if I am posting info that has already been posted.

Here is my filter off the back of my unit that is about a month old. It's most dirty right where the exhaust pipe exits the stove......right in the middle above the filter. It looks a lot dirtier in person than on here. :roll:

Attachments

• Image002.jpg
    Image002.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 328
Soot/smoke coming out of the exhaust connection is different than it just leaking out of the stove at the door or other areas. If the exhaust connection is sealed properly there should not be any smoke leaking there.

ok here's the physics of it, pellet stoves of this type operate under "Negative Pressure" the iar is "sucked" through te fire then "Blown" out the vent.

that said if a leak in the stove BEFORE you get to the exhaust blower is located air should be sucked in , not blown out.

if soot is leaking out its in the areas of the exhaust blower or the vent itself. here's a little lab trick (a shortcut actually) empty the stove , put enough pelets in the burn pot to start the fire but no more. let the igniter get the fuel just to the point of lighting it smokes most at that time , when its rolling smoke and about to light , pull the plug darken the room and search for leaks using a strong focused beam flashlight , if leaks are present they should showe up in the light.

after the test plug back in and restart to clear the rest of the smoke then after its burned out teh small quantity of fuel and cooled, fix the leaks

From the looks of the space around the outside of the vent in the garage wall it likely isn't sealed to well there either and that furnace is capable of moving enough air to draw some smoke back into the garage from the vent area, make sure that area is sealed.

If by any chance you have another furnace in the other corner of that garage install an OAK on the pellet device, if an oil or gas furnace were to run in that garage it is likely powerful enough to draw smoke and soot out of the pellet device.

I would try Mikes suggestion and go from there. If sealing up any leaks after that procedure doesn't fix the issue I will give you one more procedure to try. I would clean it up really good and pull the pellet vent off and park a different stove in its place and then advertise it. The last option will work. It is kind of like that car that keeps having issue after issue. If you pull the radiator cap off and drive a different one under it the biggest issue is fixed.

take my advice and get rid of the unit again usstove has admitted there was an issue and have stopped production of this unit as of last year they know there is a problem which is why they stopped making them. there have been some people that have had good luck but i have read and experienced more bad than good

jtp10181 said:
Soot/smoke coming out of the exhaust connection is different than it just leaking out of the stove at the door or other areas. If the exhaust connection is sealed properly there should not be any smoke leaking there.

The discharge end of the pipe where the heat comes out shows on a steal beam just in front of it that there is soot streaking on the beam from where it is blowing by it. So it is more than just what maybe leaking around the exhaust pipe......it's actually being blown around the room from inside the unit. Although not really bad looking, the pipe has only been up about a month in that position.

Attachments

• Image002(2).jpg
    Image002(2).jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 275
  • Image003.jpg
    Image003.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 265
Status
Not open for further replies.