Federal Airtight Stove needs a lot of love

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DutchwestGuy

Dec 2, 2023
West Coast, USA
Moderator edit: Moved from old thread:

I'm in a house with almost that exact stove. Mine has an insert in the fireplace that is the back wall of the stove, the rest is in pieces in the garage, but everything appears to be there, except for a few small items. It still has the nameplate and model number on it, which is either FA266 IL or FA 224IL Fireplace Insert. (the plate lists both) So I'd love to get some advice on how to get this thing rebuilt, and have some basic questions, as I've never done anything like this before.
1) Do I need to use stove gasket cement between the pieces (walls/bottom/top) when it's reassembled to make it air tight? Can you recommend what to use for that? I noticed you said you put gasket rope on the top piece and doors. I think I'll need to replace the doors and the top piece has none at all. Can you recommend a link for that material so I can get enough and the right size?
2) Do you know where to find the legs for one of these? I found an old pic of it when it was installed in the house and its propped up on bricks. I'd love to get some original or similar legs attached to it, so if you can tell me where to look, that would be great!
3) Since this is a fireplace insert, the top piece has an oval piece with a cover on it (see pics below). Would you recommend sealing that up with rope or gasket cement?
4) The doors are missing the handles, if you can let me know where to find those online, or what size would fit the square piece on the doors.
5) Next to all the pieces in the garage, I found a big bag of what looks like fine black sand. Do you think this would go in the bottom under the grate? I'm not sure what its for, but it looks like it was with the stove parts.
6) Once I get the rust off, do you recommend painting or using stove polish paste?
7) Any advice on how to clean/polish up the brass parts?

Thanks for any advice on how to get this rebuilt and working safely. I've attached pics of the name plate, the stove loosely assembled except for the backplate (still in the fireplace); the back of the insert that's in the fireplace and the pipe going up the brick chimney; the oval piece that coves the hole on the top plate; and the back wall of the unit as it stands assembled in the fireplace. The last pic is one I found of what it looked like when it was previously installed, with the bricks holding it up!

Thanks,

Screen Shot 2023-12-02 at 1.25.08 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-12-02 at 1.25.27 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-12-02 at 1.25.43 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-12-02 at 1.25.56 PM.png Stove1.png Screen Shot 2023-12-02 at 1.40.41 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in a house with almost that exact stove. Mine has an insert in the fireplace that is the back wall of the stove, the rest is in pieces in the garage, but everything appears to be there, except for a few small items. It still has the nameplate and model number on it, which is either FA266 IL or FA 224IL Fireplace Insert. (the plate lists both) So I'd love to get some advice on how to get this thing rebuilt, and have some basic questions, as I've never done anything like this before.
1) Do I need to use stove gasket cement between the pieces (walls/bottom/top) when it's reassembled to make it air tight? Can you recommend what to use for that? I noticed you said you put gasket rope on the top piece and doors. I think I'll need to replace the doors and the top piece has none at all. Can you recommend a link for that material so I can get enough and the right size?
2) Do you know where to find the legs for one of these? I found an old pic of it when it was installed in the house and its propped up on bricks. I'd love to get some original or similar legs attached to it, so if you can tell me where to look, that would be great!
3) Since this is a fireplace insert, the top piece has an oval piece with a cover on it (see pics below). Would you recommend sealing that up with rope or gasket cement?
4) The doors are missing the handles, if you can let me know where to find those online, or what size would fit the square piece on the doors.
5) Next to all the pieces in the garage, I found a big bag of what looks like fine black sand. Do you think this would go in the bottom under the grate? I'm not sure what its for, but it looks like it was with the stove parts.
6) Once I get the rust off, do you recommend painting or using stove polish paste?
7) Any advice on how to clean/polish up the brass parts?

Thanks for any advice on how to get this rebuilt and working safely. I've attached pics of the name plate, the stove loosely assembled except for the backplate (still in the fireplace); the back of the insert that's in the fireplace and the pipe going up the brick chimney; the oval piece that coves the hole on the top plate; and the back wall of the unit as it stands assembled in the fireplace. The last pic is one I found of what it looked like when it was previously installed, with the bricks holding it up!

Thanks,

View attachment 320012 View attachment 320013 View attachment 320014 View attachment 320015 View attachment 320016 View attachment 320017
Also... since I need to replace all the nuts and bolts that hold the pieces together, what type of metal is best for those that can tolerate the high heat?

This is an insert, it's not meant to be used as a freestanding stove.

So, to clarify, I'm just trying to re-install it in the same fireplace that it was in, and need some advice with that process, since I've never dealt with one of these before. The last pic is of it installed the way it used to be, and I'd like to rebuild it, reconnect it to the back wall (that's still in the fireplace), and ideally get it on some legs so its not just propped up on those bricks. I don't want to use it as a free-standing stove.

The stove will benefit with a complete wire wheel brush down to remove as much rust as possible and the a good paint job.
This is the first insert version I've seen so I am not sure if it had legs or a base plinth that is sat on. It may take improvising something sturdy and non-combustible like a welded base frame painted black.

What runs up the chimney now? Is it a proper stainless liner? If not, that may also need to be redone.

Nice to see an insert of this model. First you do use wood stove gasket cement there are different brands online. I was just looking at my pictures of this stove in my backup files. Yes, I did put a rope gasket on the top piece and doors, but the rest is wood stove cement. But I was not following any instructions was mostly going by how the stove was designed and from working on similar wood stoves.

You mentioned wanting to install legs on this wood stove. Check the bottom of the stove and see if it has threads for screwing in bolts on the four corners for legs if so, you might be able to get some generic legs from eBay just as long as they are not too tall and won’t overlap on the edge of the bottom of the stove. If there are no threads, then you will have to dream up something else.

The handles on my stove look just like the wood handles that that is often attached to file people use to sharpen their chainsaw. With some imagination and ingenuity, you can make your own handles just don't drill the hole out to big. I have even purchased a table leg at Home Depot and cut to size and used them for handles on wood stoves. (see Pic)

What is the problem with the doors as you suggested you might need to replace them? It would be very difficult to find matching doors for this old of a wood stove. If they are warped it will be hard to get them to seal.

As far as your question on number 3 it would not hurt to put some stove cement in just to avoid air leaks. I have never dealt with an insert before so maybe others may have a suggestion.

For rust removal I have been using allot of elbow grease with wire brushes on my drill and angle grinder along with (Gel Rust Dissolver) from Home Depot.

Many on this site use different methods for painting their wood stoves. I personally like to use spray-paint and try to use the 1200 degree heat resistant paint from Sherwin Williams. But other brands have worked just as well.

The brass parts are tricky if they are brass plated then you need to be careful not to go to deep so you don’t get down to the base metal. Don’t use sandpaper unless it is 800 grit. One good product is Brasso use it with a good stiff toothbrush. Sometimes I use steel wool but be careful with it. Steel wool leaves light etching marks unless you can get a real fine steel wool.

Last but not least the bolts that were inside the stove were very rusted but did not seem to be anything special. I just used regular bolts and washers the same size as those I removed.

Have fun with your project.

Table leg.jpg Grate .jpg

Last edited:
this stove should be retired. i think it has seen it's day. per the back tag on the stove this does not meet the 14 inch front hearth. if you are that hell bent to restore a stove that was in the fireplace then look for a replacement. it will cost you way less to buy another stove than to rebuild that one and that is not including your time. if you can get the parts