Black Swan Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mking7

Burning Hunk
Jan 26, 2011
West, TX
So I went online to find a gasket kit (where I live there aren't many 'stove' shops...at least not nearby). I found Black Swan. Anyone ever dealt with them? I always give a vendor the benefit of the doubt on a mistake and watch how they handle said mistake.

I ordered a gasket kit and paid $10 shipping. About 10 days later I got my package. Wasn't super happy with that but ok, I can fix my stove door now. Except one thing, the box has no gaskets. Instead they shipped me an andiron. The receipt in the box said gasket kit but I got an andiron. Okay, simple mistake, someone needing an andiron got my gaskets I bet.

So I call them up. I expect any company in this situation to say something like this: "I'm so sorry. We will expedite a shipment to you with the correct parts." Followed by this: "We will include a return shipping label in the box if you would simply attach it to your box and return the andiron" or "Our mistake, keep the andiron as it's not worth the hassle to ship it back and you may need it. Again, we're sorry for the mix up."

Instead what I get is an RMA number. I am asked to ship the andiron back at MY expense and then they will ship my gasket kit. So I question the fact that I have to pay return shipping for THEIR mistake. After being on hold for a while I'm told that they have no way to provide for my shipping expenses but they will refund to my card the cost of my shipping when they get the package from me. So with any luck, I'll have a door gasket by mid-december.

Not real happy. In fact, while writing this I decided I'm going to call them back and just return it for a refund. Again, if I had ordered the wrong thing I'd have no problems with the process and wouldn't expect them to cover shipping on my return (although many places do) but it was their mistake, they could have gone a little further out of their way to get me a gasket.

Are you sure your original order is correct and that the order + part number is clearly for the gasket kit and not the andiron? If it is your error then they are correct. However, if it is entirely their mistake then without a doubt they need to rectify it and your credit card company will back you up on that.

FWIW, I have never ordered from them, but many here have. This is the first time I've heard a problem ordering from BSH.

The receipt in the box was correct, listed my part number and stated ENCORE-Gasket Kit. They just sent me the wrong thing. Like I said, I don't have a problem with a simple mistake but they should have sent me the correct part right away and included a shipping label for the return or something. Sounds like they're generally good to deal with so my experience may be an anomaly or perhaps I'm being picky but I don't think I am. :)

Nope, they should fix this. If the person on the phone can't resolve the misshipment, politely ask to speak with the owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.