Blade sharpening system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
I like sharp knives. Kitchen knives, pocket knives, fillet knives, all of them. I have found a system that works pretty sweet and have even dedicated an 8" grinder for it.
http://www.knifecenter.com/item/CW1...em-With-8-inch-Grit-Wheel-and-Polishing-Wheel

I have no affiliation to this product other than a happy end user. It did take a bit to get the hang of, but man, what a razor edge buffed to a mirror finish this thing will produce.

What system is your goto for a knife sharpening system. I have darn near everything that I know of - stones, hones, diamond, wet stones, etc. but am interested in what other folks might have.

This also does not need to be specific to knives. Axes, scissors, wood working tools, etc. are also acceptable.

X2 on the Rada sharpener. The company is about 2 miles from my house. Nice small manufacturing plant that employes many locals. They have a large selection of very high quality knives as well. I have many. Worth looking at. $6.25 shipped on ebay.

Rada knives are very nice. Cheap, yet snicker-snack sharp. I have one of their smaller chef's knives, and a tomato slicing (serrated) knife.

Reactions: Jags
To sharpen knives, I like Spyderco's Sharpmaker. Plain or serrated edges end up nice & sharp. In the past, I used a Lansky sharpening system, but now just use that to use its coarse stone to remove lots of steel from a damaged/abused knife edge before sharpening it. Otherwise, it's the Sharpmaker.

Whatever your choice of sharpening device its only good if its used often and correctly.

bob

I use this.
wetstone.png

i use a Lansky system to set my angles on new or damaged blade. after that just a fine diamond stone to keep it fresh. i have a couple of the Rada knifes and the sharpener. they are sweet and will get a razors edge, but i prefer the weight and balance of my Henckels.

Jags, I have Rada steak knives, fillet knives and skinning knives. All very nice quality. Hope that "splains" my previous post?

Reactions: Jags
I like the Spyderco system as well, but their "coarse" stones are hardly coarse.. it's better to start with an already fairly sharp knife, or you'll be there for a while.

For the big knives, I still prefer free handing them on stones. I have the Norton wetstones (1k, 2k, 4k, 8k), and an assortment of Arkansas stones. The Arkansas stones cut really slow, but I find it relaxing.. and when you're done, that edge is like a mirror.

Jags, I have Rada steak knives, fillet knives and skinning knives. All very nice quality. Hope that "splains" my previous post?
Yep - I went on a search and found more info. Not fond of the handle design. The round handle is akin to a Japanese sushi knife. Kind of fond of my cutco and Wusthof knives.

I received the Edge Pro Apex as a gift probably 10 years ago and it has worked excellent. It produces a very consistent edge and you can adjust the angle depending on the knife. I've used it quite a few times to sharpen all my stuff, my friends stuff, my family's stuff, and so far noticeable wear on the stones.

edgepro_apex600.jpg

I use it to sharpen my Shun Classic 10" Chef's Knife:

shunclassic1.jpg

It really holds an edge... I probably only sharpen it once every 9-12 months, and hit it with a sharpening steel once a month in between. And I cook a lot. It was an expensive purchase but I figure of all the stuff I spend money on, I use this several times a day, every day, and it should last a lifetime.

Ooohhh...damascus blades make me all warm and fuzzy inside.
I have never seen that Edge Pro Apex sharpener. Interesting.

In kitchen I use a dimond rod and it only takes a few touch up strokes to keep my cheap kitchen cutters working good. When it comes to pocket knives and such I use a lansky. I had to upgrade to diamond stones when I started to play with more exotic metals. When your working with stuff like 440 stainless a rock will bet it sharp. CPM M4 will give you a work out, ZDP-189 can be a pain to. S90V is one of my favs hands down, that green corded Mule has gutted and skined many deer and elk and holds an edge thats just keeps cutting.
mule 6.jpg

Sorry about the huge image.

The Rada knives are hard to beat for the money in the kitchen. We have the French Chef's knife, the older style Ham knife and several Paring knives. They're very easy to sharpen, I just use a good stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.