Blaze King 30 Hours and still burning the same load!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The longevity of the burn on these things is quite impressive. My only problem is at a 24 hr burn with say (for argument purpose) 40 pounds of 20% wood in the box - that would give you ~ 11,500 btu per hour at 100% efficiency (a 30 hr burn would = 9240 btu per hour). At 80% efficiency a 24hr burn is 9200 BTU and 30 hr is 7392 BTU.

A person would have to have a quite efficient house to make 9200 btu per hour heat it. For my home - it might work on a 60F day, but sure ain't gonna work in the winter. I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade, just pointing out that you can't invent BTUs.

Take that out a little further for a 12 hr burn with 20%MC firewood, a 40 pound load at 80% efficiency = 18,400 btu an hour - the equivalent to a small propane wall heater. A 20,000 btu wall hanging 100% efficient propane heater is recommended for 700 sqft.

Would this heat your house? (thats an honest question, I really am interested in the answer).

Attachments

• wall heater.jpg
    wall heater.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 409
Jags said:
The longevity of the burn on these things is quite impressive. My only problem is at a 24 hr burn with say (for argument purpose) 40 pounds of 20% wood in the box - that would give you ~ 11,500 btu per hour at 100% efficiency (a 30 hr burn would = 9240 btu per hour). At 80% efficiency a 24hr burn is 9200 BTU and 30 hr is 7392 BTU.

A person would have to have a quite efficient house to make 9200 btu per hour heat it. For my home - it might work on a 60F day, but sure ain't gonna work in the winter. I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade, just pointing out that you can't invent BTUs.

Take that out a little further for a 12 hr burn with 20%MC firewood, a 40 pound load at 80% efficiency = 18,400 btu an hour - the equivalent to a small propane wall heater. A 20,000 btu wall hanging 100% efficient propane heater is recommended for 700 sqft.

Would this heat your house? (thats an honest question, I really am interested in the answer).

Your playing like BB now. :lol:
You cut the wood load in half. Why 40 lbs? You can load 80 lbs with douglas fir. Hiram must of fed it at least that with hardwood on a full load.

Hanko said:
You forgot to mention that its been 60 here in Michigan the last two days. might have something to do with it

Hanko,

I just put it in and was testing for length of burn, not heat output!

But even in the low position You would be amazed at the heat this sucker puts out.

My House is 2120 sq ft so I should be able to run the stove pretty low on the T-stat and still get ample amount of heat. At least that's what I'm hoping for. :lol:

Cheers Hiram :)

north of 60 said:
Your playing like BB now. :lol:
You cut the wood load in half. Why 40 lbs? You can load 80 lbs with douglas fir. Hiram must of fed it at least that with hardwood on a full load.

Point taken - at 80 lbs it would produce 36800 btu per hour for 12 hours - a much more useful number IMO.

You may want to consider getting a small pack mule to haul the wood in for reloads. 80 pounds? Holy HeyZuss. :lol:

I yield. All hail the Blaze King. I would let my sister marry somebody that owns one. :coolsmirk:

BrotherBart said:
I yield. All hail the Blaze King. I would let my sister marry somebody that owns one. :coolsmirk:

Is she cute? :cheese:

NATE379 said:
Wood I have is dry as well. Spruce and Birch that was cut 2 years ago.

north of 60 said:
Hiram also has very well seasoned wood. Less moisture to rob heat out of the Cat during the process. Dry wood smokes easier and wants to burn. Wood with more moisture content with air removed wants to go out.
Sorry Nate , I must of missed some of your post since this one. This is what I was going on which was making the most explainable sense at the time.

NATE379 said:
I have been fighting a bit with mine. I split some of it today to measure. Toward the ends it's 15-18% but right in the middle it's 23-26%. It is all birch that was cut, split and corded last year. It's all I have so I'm going to burn it, but I think it needs to be 20% right in the middle to really be dry. Another year of sitting would make it perfect.

Hiram Maxim said:
BrotherBart said:

Is she cute? :cheese:

Attachments

• Ewww.bmp
    469.9 KB · Views: 334
north of 60 said:
NATE379 said:
Wood I have is dry as well. Spruce and Birch that was cut 2 years ago.

north of 60 said:
Hiram also has very well seasoned wood. Less moisture to rob heat out of the Cat during the process. Dry wood smokes easier and wants to burn. Wood with more moisture content with air removed wants to go out.
Sorry Nate , I must of missed some of your post since this one. This is what I was going on which was making the most explainable sense at the time.

NATE379 said:
I have been fighting a bit with mine. I split some of it today to measure. Toward the ends it's 15-18% but right in the middle it's 23-26%. It is all birch that was cut, split and corded last year. It's all I have so I'm going to burn it, but I think it needs to be 20% right in the middle to really be dry. Another year of sitting would make it perfect.

I packed it up with Cherry that has been seasoning for 29 to 30 months.

Jags said:
Point taken - at 80 lbs it would produce 36800 btu per hour for 12 hours - a much more useful number IMO.

Just curious, how did you come up with that? 8500*80/12*.8=~45k? When its cold and blowing, it takes 100 pounds over 12 hours to keep my house warm. Good motivation to get the house tightened up.

Hiram Maxim said:
that has been seasoning for 29 to 30 months.

Its amazing what a difference that makes. Not the easiest thing to accomplish though, especially in the beginning.

Those are great burn times and I believe it. It still baffles me why more wood stove manufactures don't use t-stats like Blaze King.

I've been doing consistant 12 hour burns with my little Fireview lately and it's been heating my 2000 sq ft nicely in these 20-40 degree days.

Todd said:
Those are great burn times and I believe it. It still baffles me why more wood stove manufactures don't use t-stats like Blaze King.

Same here, Todd--it seems like such a great feature. The only reasons I can think of are patent/licensing issues, and if non-cats can't be reliably dialed down automatically.

Who wants to bug Woodstock to add thermostats, especially to their upcoming big stove? Cat, hybrid, soapstone and thermostat--sure sounds like an awesome combination to me.

SolarAndWood said:
Jags said:

Just curious, how did you come up with that? 8500*80/12*.8=~45k? When its cold and blowing, it takes 100 pounds over 12 hours to keep my house warm. Good motivation to get the house tightened up.

8500 btu is for 0% MC wood (lab test stuff). At 20% MC the wood will produce 6930 BTU per pound.

RenovationGeorge said:
Todd said:

Same here, Todd--it seems like such a great feature. The only reasons I can think of are patent/licensing issues, and if non-cats can't be reliably dialed down automatically.

Who wants to bug Woodstock to add thermostats, especially to their upcoming big stove? Cat, hybrid, soapstone and thermostat--sure sounds like an awesome combination to me.

George, I do believe they have had this suggestion several times. Maybe I should get on the bandwagon too!

Hiram, I couldn't be happier for you. I hope you are just as happy by the end of January. However, you will definitely be wanting more than 275 degree stove top! Good luck.

I agree on that good dry wood. It is hard to beat when it comes to heat.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hiram, I couldn't be happier for you. I hope you are just as happy by the end of January.

It's a Blaze King. He will still be burning that same load of wood in January. :lol:

BTW: How come the two stoves that you don't watch a fire blazing in them most of the time are named "Fireview" and "Blaze King"?

BrotherBart said:
BTW: How come the two stoves that you don't watch a fire blazing in them most of the time are named "Fireview" and "Blaze King"?

Who says we don't watch fire blazing in them? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It's nice to have a choice sometimes, eh?

BrotherBart said:

Its the same logic as "Apartments" -when in reality they are all stuck together.

Backwoods Savage said:
RenovationGeorge said:
Todd said:

Hiram, I couldn't be happier for you. I hope you are just as happy by the end of January. However, you will definitely be wanting more than 275 degree stove top! Good luck.

I agree on that good dry wood. It is hard to beat when it comes to heat.

Thanks Dennis,
Yeah Ive got it running at around 400 °F now that its back to normal Michigan November temps.
Dry wood makes all the difference.
Cheers,Hiram

Jags said:
BrotherBart said:

Its the same logic as "Apartments" -when in reality they are all stuck together.

Drive on a parkway and park on a driveway.

BrotherBart said:

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.